Gravel Bikes Exist Because Mountain Biking Is Now Boring

I think this is the third or fourth link/thread for this vid in the last couple of days.

No real surprises.

They exist because there is a new generation of cyclists that need something different.

No I'm not one but I do see the attraction.

I owned a Salsa Fargo 2 for a few months which was an excellent bike with very good build quality.

20 years ago it would have been my go to bike but I'm just too old for it now.

It's not so much that Mountain Biking is declining it's more of a case that CX is on a rapid increase; there's a big difference between the two statements IMHO.

Popularity of a discipline is pushed by the media and the companies making them. Cx bikes have been around forever, this is not a new phenomenon just a new “cool” marketing spin and because a decent mountain bike has now got a silly price tag.

this ^^^ just to get more of your money for something you already have.

starsh78":3v9zpq3p said:
Popularity of a discipline is pushed by the media and the companies making them. Cx bikes have been around forever, this is not a new phenomenon just a new “cool” marketing spin and because a decent mountain bike has now got a silly price tag.

+1

A few thoughts -

A bit too roll out the cliches, then using a poorly set up retro for comparison :facepalm: I would rather trust a 20lb full Ti rigid to ride longterm than full carbon as its still fun to get gnarly on a cx ride.
That Modern disc gravel bike still squeels like a stuck pig under braking. That would drive me nuts.
Bar ends are very useful.
Put a full uncut retro handlebar back on your retro and a shorter more high rise stem than in your yoof and its pretty much just as comfy as any gravel bike.

In the same way that a bald/grey haired chap rocking up at cars & coffee in a mint Triumph Stag gets a lot more attention than a 30yr old in a murdered RS6, il stick with my iconic retros thanks :)

The other day me & my kids were arsing about/shaking down my Daughters new ridged retro build in Dalby forest, just some easy gravel trails and some silly stump jumps for fun when from high up in the hills we could hear the lamentable cry of beast in what we assumed was some considerable distress. This howling got louder and louder the closer it came until it reached a near mind altering fever pitch banshee like wail...
Just at the point where our imagination was about to lose its grip on reality, a pair of shiny brand new MTB’s with screaming disc brakes came into view with the riders looking visibly pained by the experience.... we didn’t want to be mean, but couldn’t stop ourselves from smiling :LOL:

Well it was a nice enough ride but some real grump bar stewards!

Attachments

• falling leaves 1.jpg
    falling leaves 1.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 519
  • falling leaves 2.jpg
    falling leaves 2.jpg
    446.7 KB · Views: 519
  • falling leaves 3.jpg
    falling leaves 3.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 519
  • falling leaves 4.jpg
    falling leaves 4.jpg