Unsafe Brake.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Another cobbled together cut and shut likely to cause the injury of the unwary.

Hope brakes sell well on ebay, so using the name help sell.
Got a seller cobbled a grimeca lever on to a hope caliper. Caliper is closed, the lever open.....well, maybe work if bled, but its your life so would you chance it ?, with likely both companies stating to use only with their own components.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hope-Mono-Mi ... Sw6PJdfAvt

Ive sent a message saying its incompatible, but I kind of think his username is a tad misleading :LOL: especially not even recognizing its two different systems or even the name of the caliper :facepalm:

Avoid unless you want a tatty C2 and a likely nonfunctional lever.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Grimeca use mineral oil, hope use DoT. That's the only (major) issue. In fact it's a complete stopper.

The closed/open combination is exactly how you'd want it. In fact, closed system only refers to the lever, the calipers are the same.

You should be fine then. Brake feel might be a bit off if the piston ratios are off, but that's unlikely to be an issue.
(All the references I could find to grimeca said mineral)

mattr":30k3w8o4 said:
You should be fine then. Brake feel might be a bit off if the piston ratios are off, but that's unlikely to be an issue.
(All the references I could find to grimeca said mineral)

Its not just about ratios or fluid type it is about how the 2 differ. C2 requires manual adjustment of the pads, open is self adjust.
So if using an open lever with a C2 caliper the piston would fully retract as they have return springs inside the piston & would result in full lever travel every time with little if any braking force.

Back