A little bottom bracket help please....

Re: Re:

Madmax1993":3hw00d4u said:
Hovis_loaf":3hw00d4u said:
jimo746":3hw00d4u said:
:facepalm:

If it was just the £96 quid I would have been tempted, it is the extra postage and then is there going to be any import duty?? The one I have is serviceable and a mate of mine this morning said that you can get them apart, he did it once many moons ago.

But what do I do when this one dies? These are the only ones I have found after nearly two weeks of looking!

Ditch the obsolete standard and get a new chainset. It's one thing to be attached and keep a bike standard, but sometimes you just have to let it go. It not like it's an old xtr chainset, it's only a specialized OEM item.

I know that there is a limit on how value something has when it is sentimental, this is tipping it over the edge to be honest. However, other than the crank I have full XTR M952 on the bike, so if I go for the matching cranks won't I be in the same position, or was there a choice of bottom bracket/crank types?

Re:

Hovis_loaf":3h4t18ar said:
...... it is the extra postage and then is there going to be any import duty??
Yes.

The one I have is serviceable and a mate of mine this morning said that you can get them apart,
I am sure that I have seen this done, but I can't find anything in my records. A quick Google search hasn't revealed anything yet, but I'm sure someone on here will know.

But what do I do when this one dies? These are the only ones I have found after nearly two weeks of looking!
When Shimano introduced this version of Bottom Bracket interface 23 years ago, they did it to maximize profit, not because they love us lots. Sourcing these components is all part of this Retrobike thing.

Re:

Here you go.

This is an exploded diagram of the BB-M950, which may help with pulling yours apart. That's if indeed my memory is correct, and it is possible to do this:

Pip

Attachments

• Octalink BB-M950 Exploded.jpg
    Octalink BB-M950 Exploded.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 268

pipmeister":14g901yw said:
Hovis_loaf":14g901yw said:
...... it is the extra postage and then is there going to be any import duty??
Yes.

The one I have is serviceable and a mate of mine this morning said that you can get them apart,
I am sure that I have seen this done, but I can't find anything in my records. A quick Google search hasn't revealed anything yet, but I'm sure someone on here will know.

When Shimano introduced this version of Bottom Bracket interface 23 years ago, they did it to maximize profit, not because they love us lots. Sourcing these components is all part of this Retrobike thing.

I guessed there would be some sort of import, no idea what it would be but I'm not going to get a lot of change out of £120-140, that is just a huge amount just so I can use my old cranks. The only way forward I think is to keep this one and hope "I" can refurb it when the time arrives.

The difficultly in finding one has been a real surprise, makes me wonder how problematic the Stumpjumper and Hardrock are going to be.

pipmeister":14g901yw said:
Here you go.

This is an exploded diagram of the BB-M950, which may help with pulling yours apart. That's if indeed my memory is correct, and it is possible to do this:

Pip

Wow. That is mega useful, thank you very much indeedy!

Is there any significant difference between the 952 and 950?

Hovis_loaf":1yf61zzc said:

It would appear so according to ishaw back in 2011.

I was correct in thinking that the Octalink can be rebuilt, although Ian is suggesting in this old thread that the BB-M950 can be serviced, while the BB-M952 cannot. Good old Shimano - they really don't want us to service this stuff do they! If what Ian says is true, they put a stop to rebuilding an Octalink Bottom Bracket with the revamped 952 version. If you scroll though the thread, you'll see some links added by FluffyChicken. There is a service instruction for an Octalink BB, which is what I could recall - sadly it is not for the 952 version.

Your mate who told you that these were serviceable, may have also assumed the same as it did.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175480&start=10

Pip.

pipmeister":47usqxu6 said:
Hovis_loaf":47usqxu6 said:

It would appear so according to ishaw back in 2011.

I was correct in thinking that the Octalink can be rebuilt, although Ian is suggesting in this old thread that the BB-M950 can be serviced, while the BB-M952 cannot. Good old Shimano - they really don't want us to service this stuff do they! If what Ian says is true, they put a stop to rebuilding an Octalink Bottom Bracket with the revamped 952 version. If you scroll though the thread, you'll see some links added by FluffyChicken. There is a service instruction for an Octalink BB, which is what I could recall - sadly it is not for the 952 version.

Your mate who told you that these were serviceable, may have also assumed the same as it did.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=175480&start=10

Pip.

Lol, just when I thought all was well!! However, I can at least look for a 950 as well/instead. There is one on eBay in the states........a mere $240 + shipping!! I think the only sensible approach is to see this one out and when the end comes see if it can be fettled if not, which is probable, then I'll just have to replace the whole lot, cranks and all.

I'll see if my mate remembers what it was he serviced, while his memory is far better than mine I'll be impressed if he can remember if it was 950 or 952.

Thanks for all the info and help though, I feel that I have tried everything sensible.

Out of interest what dimensional differences between the 73 and 68mm versions. My one measures 63mm from the inside of the drive side cup to the edge of the bottom bracket case (piece 8 on the lower of the two types shown in the diagram).

Back