Mountain Cycle San Andreas Rebuild

Thats a lot of effort but I wouldnt be using the Ringle stem, the faceplates are in the Manitou FS head tube category of long lasting high durability...

I've heard that said before, but I've been riding a 150mm Ringle stem since 1996 with no problems, apart from buying two new stem caps and me not really riding it since 2004.
And me now being double the weight. It'll be fiiiiiiiiiiiiine.

Well this is annoying. I thought I’d set about rebuilding my wheels while the paint cures properly so decided to use the Shivers as a truing jig . The wheel I bought had a qr axle and so I found a faded Big un with 20mm bearings and caps. Easy swap? No, of course not. The hub is too small for the donor parts, and the donor hub too faded.

48347644731_b676389fb5_b.jpg

Looking at the difference in sizes from the QR axle bearings to the 20mm ones, I doubt there will be a bearing to fit in the red hub yet still fit the thru axle.
Any ideas?

This seems to spread some light on the matter. Of course there would be 2 gens of hub. What I have is the top one in faded red and the 2nd gen one in good condition red

albystarvation":1jm3vjtf said:
Speaking about just jacques's images, I have some front BigUn hubs.
In this image, you could see what I call a Gen1 BigUn: fat hub centre, the red is QR, the silver is 20 mm. As you can see , this silver one has two top hat adapters, plus the bearings are pressed directly into the hub's sides, and a spacer tube fitting snugly between the bearings. In fact, I converted the red QR one to 20 mm by buying correct bearings, plus two Bulb 20mm top hat adapter, and carefully cutting a 20mm ID alloy tube ( seatpost) to the correct lenght.
file.php

In this image, you see what I call a 2nd gen Bigun ( slim hub centre): the adapter is much more comlex: two conical side adapters, bearings on a shoulder of the adapters, all the asembly fitting INSIDE the center tube.
file.php

Hope this helps.

Dynati, perhaps you will be willing to part with the rear bolt-on axles? Just le me know,
thanks.

BTW, i don't need the red QR parts, if someone needs them..

Alberto.

Scratch that, my faded 20mm hub is as the bottom pic, but the one I want to use is 2nd in top pic.
If I could get a 32 x 25 x 9 mm bearing, it would fit. 4mm wide seems the only one available. I wonder if 4 of those plus a shim would work.

Re:

I’ll have a look tomorrow as I converted my gen 1 from qr (exactly like the red one in the pic with the silver one) to 20mm in order to fit it into a shiver sc so you can definitely do it. I will try and check the bearing size. I did mine years ago but I’m pretty sure It came as a kit with end caps bearings and Center spacer.

Silver one in pic with red one is what you need. As you can see the end caps are different to the silver one on its own.

A 20x32 bearing would go directly over the axle. I could cut down the cups (as lower pic) to remove the inner sleeve that the 25x32 bearing sits over.

Re:

Right so really sorry I don’t have a set spare as all my other biguns are gen 2 or qr but I can confirm you need bearing 6804RS (7x20x32), I’m sure you can still get the end caps you just need to make sure you have the right size as there are several. You need 21mm disc side 19mm non disc. Then you just need spacer tube which is 20mm Id x 24mm od x 56.2mm long. Like I said I’m sure I bought a kit but it was years ago and my memory is terrible. You could also try and ring/email Hope they have been really helpful in the past even for old stuff. Hope that helps.

Tim

Back