Fulcrum red zone, FSA NS or....

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Looking at a set of red zone 500 (5). Meet my budget and frame/fork spec.

Will I have any regrets buying them over say building a set of wheels around pro2 evo hubs, or other wheels in a similar price bracket (£300 ish)?

Also found some FSA NS 29er wheels at a good price. Are these worth considering? Have a higher rrp than the fulcrums but that doesn't always mean better.

Or are there any better wheel options under £200?

Looking to pull the trigger on a set this weekend if I can. Want to get this built up and start selling off some of my collection for my own sanity.

Re:

Had a look at the Fulcrums and can’t see they’re any better than wtb rims you already have. Also need centre lock rotors or Fulcrums own adaptors. Normal centre lock adaptors don’t fit.
Can you not sell some stuff off then buy a better set of wheels? Really need £300-£350 for a set worth having. Your Pro 2’s will sell easily and the rims would sell too. Most of the wheels you mention are on sale for a reason. I wouldn’t buy a set of set rims narrower than 25mm internal width.

Re:

Better tyre support and profile, especially on modern tyres.
Might only be 2mm but that’s 10%. Plus the Fulcrum ones you linked to are 21mm internal.

Narrow is fine on retro builds, the Mavics on my STS are 17mm, but if you’re building a 29er it makes sense (to me) to make the most of it’s advantages. Any of the options you list will work though.

Re:

Cheers. I'm probably going to do most riding on gravel paths, nothing remotely gnarly.

I went a bit mad and ordered both, will review on arrival and return the set I like the least, unless I can find a set worth buying at the combined price of both.

Fulcrums look to be about 24mm id on the rim, not far off the 25.

Wasnt planning on hugely wide tyres either, not building a fat
bike.

Re:

Also curious as to how a 6 bolt adapter wont fit. I read the same on crc feedback about the wheels, but the poster hadn't even understood there was such a thing as centre lock rotors.

Fortunately I have some, so if I keep the wheels, I can fit them, but a centre lock spline is a standard so not quite sure how an adapter wouldn't fit if a rotor fits.

Back