29er wheels, build, buy, adapt?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Pulling the parts together to build a ti 29er (on one). Not sure which way to go.wheel wise.

I have a set of wheels already, but I'd need to adapt them to work, and the kit needed isn't available so do I wait and hope I can find one?

Or

Build a set around some hope pro 2 evo hubs I already have, using some new wtb i23 rims I have. Buy spokes and build? I would also need a rear conversion kit for the hubs, but at least they are available.

Or

Buy a new set of wheels that will work with the frame and forks I have?

If buying new, I'm not up to speed with what's good, bad or ugly. Not even sure if the rims I have are any good and worthy of the build (which will be either 10x1 xtr or x0, simply as that's what I have, and is good enough.

Thoughts and recommendations on my options, and decent but keenly priced new wheels welcomed. Budget is not huge, but aiming for a decent enough set as hoping to downsize once this is built and dont want the wheels to be a point of regret.

Re:

What size tyres you planning to run? If it’s modern 2.3ish tyres, then the 23mm rims are a bit narrow. If it’s old school 1.9-2.1 then they’ll be fine. DT Swiss do some nice wheels around £300-£350 and come with all the axle adaptors and tubeless kit.

Re:

I'd buy what you need and sell the rest as wheels can be had for a decent price. I bought some boost Hope Pro4's on Hope Enduro rims for less than £250 from this site the other week.

Check out the Orange sale page on Pinkbike too as they often sell old stock at cost.

Re:

What are peoples opinions on fulcrum red zone 500s? Seen a cheap set with the right configuration for the frame.

Latest posts

Back