Dropper Post for 99 FSR Expert

memgtdg

Retro Newbie
Hi,

Has anyone got any experience of getting a dropper post with a useful amount of drop for one of these bikes? The design of the seat tube obviously means that you can only insert so much of the post before it interferes with the rear suspension.

I've just bought a KS ETENR 320mm but after reading the spec sheet I think it's only going to give me 2.5cm drop over the original post! Seems kind of pointless.

The original post is 270mm. The ETENR has a travel of 75mm so 320mm - 75mm will give a low height of 245mm.

Cheers

i guess it depends how much you can inset into the frame, as you usually can't cut a dropper and then it's not like you will really be able to use it as it will always extent to full, you'll have a great old time trying to ride it at the height you want.

As long as you can get the saddle to the correct height with the post fully extended, you'll get the full drop.

If you can't, you either bought the wrong post, have the wrong size bike, or the wrong saddle height.

From memory i had about 150mm from seatpost clamp to saddle rail on my FSR.
You got any pictures of current set up?

Re:

Here is a pic of current setup. Red line from clamp to seat rail is about 175mm. Green line from bottom of seat tube to top of clamp is 100mm

Attachments

• seatpost.JPG
    seatpost.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 438
It's the total length of the dropper that's stopped me from fitting one to my 2008 FSR.

You'd need one with a total length less than 300mm, and there aren't many about.

Re:

Swapping out that saddle for something a bit lower orofile would free up another 30mm or so I guess.
I take it there is a bit of room for the post to stick out the bottom of the seat "tube"? I'm guessing the rear suspension when fully compressed won't move so far as to counts t the bottom of the seat tube? If so then that'll give you some wiggle room too.
Most dropper posts seem to be 380mm long at least.

Shortest i've got is 340 i think, rail to base. Just a matter of letting the air out of the shock and seeing how far down you can drop the post before it touches and going from there.

Back