Fork Boots.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Aftermarket shock boots for forks ?

To protect the stanchions. seems dumb to me not to have them given they help prevent damage and increase seal life.

A conspiracy :shock:

I've checked and outside of some lizard skins in the US, there appears to be nothing available.

Anyone know of or am i searching for the right thing, which i think i am as the general search brings up boots for motorbikes, just not mtb's :?

Re:

Yup Im with you on this,I use inner tubes cable tied to the stanchions.The cable ties i use can be untied so I check for crud once a month,wipe and re seal.

Re:

My concern has always been that a month of a piece of grit trapped between a boot and and a stanchion could do more damage than grit that gets washed off after a ride.

EDIT: I mean the removable type, a fully sealed gaiter is a good idea, but I guess means dismantling the fork to fit, unless they do a version like the car cv boot where the gaiter can be sealed via an adhesive to make a water tight seal.

Re:

The Muckynutz fenders do offer some protection to the stanchions and keep mud and water out of your face to boot. It's the more accepted option now rather than fork boots.

Motorcycle fork manufacturers claim gaiters increase seal and bushing life by a factor of 4.

But the factor should be the protection it offers to the stanchions themselves which are the whole point of the smooth sealed movement of the fork, but are effectively hanging in the breeze and prone to becoming damaged given their outboards position.

Even accidentally slipping while leaning against something can scrape the stanchions. To me is seems that they should always be fitted.

surely, fork seals have developed enough, to deem gaitors unecessary? I know back in the day all forks had gaitors, but the seals weren't half as good as modern day forks

NathanD":7rugcu62 said:
surely, fork seals have developed enough, to deem gaitors unecessary? I know back in the day all forks had gaitors, but the seals weren't half as good as modern day forks

but not just the seals, but the possibility of accidental damage.

The whole point of the sport is not a smooth soft surface but rough and jagged and just the thing to impact an outboard and critical part of the bike.

dyna-ti":24i7zpaw said:
NathanD":24i7zpaw said:

but not just the seals, but the possibility of accidental damage.

The whole point of the sport is not a smooth soft surface but rough and jagged and just the thing to impact an outboard and critical part of the bike.

It's a good point, all it takes is a nick in the stanchion and the seals wont seal anymore..

Okay I'm with you!

Back