Shimano XTR M950 rear derailleur 8 or 9 speed?

Badmanowl

Retro Newbie
Currently building a 1x9 conversion and having some serious gearing issues.

I'm using the m950 with a brand new 9 speed deore shifter.

The pull ratios seem to be off by miles. I'm getting through the entire casette in 7 shifts.

Have the ratios changed over the years? Is the derailleur 8 speed instead of 9? Can't find any solid information online.

I'm really confused so any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Should work just fine, pull ratio only changed on 11 speed. So its just a case of matching the shifter to the cassette.

Re:

M950 was 8 speed. I thought pull ratios for shimano rear mechs didn't change so your mech should work with a deore 9 speed shifter.

I had some issues setting up an sram set up recently. It was 9 speed xo and should have just worked but I was getting through the cassette in 8 shifts and could not get it right. Eventually I figured out that the mech hanger was slightly bent. Once straightened the shifting was fine.

iscervo":2uqr0t4o said:
Should work just fine, pull ratio only changed on 11 speed. So its just a case of matching the shifter to the cassette.

The pull ratio actually changed for 10 SPD from 2:1 to 1.1:1.

Re: Re:

ishaw":4u0d95in said:
M950 was 8 speed. I thought pull ratios for shimano rear mechs didn't change so your mech should work with a deore 9 speed shifter.

I had some issues setting up an sram set up recently. It was 9 speed xo and should have just worked but I was getting through the cassette in 8 shifts and could not get it right. Eventually I figured out that the mech hanger was slightly bent. Once straightened the shifting was fine.

+1 for checking the hanger before trying anything else. It's the most likely culprit.

Back