Affordable action cams?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I can't stretch to a go pro, but want to get something that can record a ride or two, plus use on holidays with the kids when we go into pools and slides etc.

Ebay and other sites are rife with cheap options, but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so if there an option that sits between expensive and cheap worth looking at? Are the cheap ones just that?

Anyone got any experience or opinions?

mattr":1ulrfbcz said:
Second hand go pro.

Completely agree. If you look at the Hero 5 Black and above then the touchscreen interface is easy to use. Cheap camera's are usually a PITA to use. I would recommend pairing whatever camera you get with a Gimbal as this transforms your footage into something you can actually watch without feeling seasick :shock:

Even the earlier ones aren't exactly difficult to use. I have a 3 which is paired with my phone. Set it up at the beginning of the day for what i want to do. Then download at the end of the day and sling the camera in a drawer until next time.

Re:

Even a second hand one is outside my current budget. Not sure I want to spend that much for something so infrequently used, though don't want to end up with a paperweight.

hero 3 is about 50-80 quid on ebay, depending on accessories and condition.

the SJCAM4000 is 40-60 quid and might be a fake..........

TBH, if you pop a wanted ad up on one of your local outdoor activity clubs websites/fb pages you'll probably find a dozen people with extremely dusty go pro 3s and 4s in cupboards.
Pretty much everyone i ride with has one or two, virtually none of them ever get used.

Re:

I picked up a second hand go pro hero (basic model) for £30. does the job fine and is easy to use. Not touchscreen but then I'm not fussed about gadgets as long as it films. use it to film my races and the likes and does a pretty good job. Obviously not as good as say the new hero 7 but like you I don't have the ability to spend that much on a camera.

Back