Using older bottom bracket with longer axle

TheBear1978

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Afternoon all,

I have a 2001 Cannondale F1000 with which I will be undertaking a full rebuild.

I was planning on using an XTR chainset with a 68mm SM BB93/m980 bottom bracket for splined-drive. But I have the chance of a more OEM build-correct chainset which has standard square-taper cranks.

The recommended spindle axle length for this as per 2001 era is 109.5mm (very difficult to find and splined drive) so my question is am I ok to use an English 68mm bottom bracket with 112.5/113mm length (square taper axle, readily available) or can anyone foresee any problems doing this ?

Any advice appreciated cheers

Re:

Should be fine. Will only move the right hand crank/chainline out by a couple of mm anyway.

Re:

You could try a road octalink bb. These are available as 109.5 and assuming you are looking at an xtr m95x chainset or cannondale oem, use the correct v1 spline.

Re: Re:

ishaw":j7s0ohif said:
You could try a road octalink bb. These are available as 109.5 and assuming you are looking at an xtr m95x chainset or cannondale oem, use the correct v1 spline.

I as going to use a period XTR m960 chainset but then looked at Coda Expert EX2/EX2 or Tarantula TX2/TX3 all of which are splined Octalink as per the model/period but have read/heard nothing but bad reports on these, e.g stripping of splines or slipping/working loose.

Have now potentially found a slightly earlier Coda Tarantula TX2 chainset with square tapers so probably going to go with that if it can be confirmed that the 3.5mm difference will have no or negligible effect on the drive.

Have now committed and bought a Coda crankset with square tapers and thought I had found a suitable XTR BB-UN91 bottom bracket but turns out eBay seller hade a mistake and has given me one with 73mm and not 68mm shell size...I have been offered another one but it has 115mm axle/spindle-length. I am correct in assuming that this will be too much of a diference ?

Latest posts

Back