Boardman FS Pro pivot bearings.

Duxuk

Retro Guru
ba487103-3fba-4a31-951f-2fdc76ecfb21.jpeg

The main pivot bearings on my 2016 Boardman were worn out after 2 years so I decided to replace them myself. I bought a full set of bearings for all the rear suspension pivots from BETD for £45.
When I started to strip it down I thought that the main pivot looked a lot like a bearing I had in the garage from an Orange Sub 5. I've pictures them above. The blue one is from the orange and the orange one is from the Boardman, which is blue!
So if you have a Boardman and need only the main pivots then just buy Orange 5 bearings and save some money.
At least I have the rest of the bearings for when they develop play. It was easy enough to remove the swinging arm and press the old bearings out in a vice with the aid of a large socket and a bolt. You just have to make sure you press them out straight, not at an angle.
The play is now a thing of the past though being the same type as Orange 5 bearings I don't suppose this situation will last for too long.
img_20181227_113938.jpg

^^^^ that.

The only benefit to buying from a bike brand/shop/supplier is you get the full set in one bag. And in very rare cases, any specials that your bearing factor doesn't carry. (in ~15 years of full suss, i've come across one bearing type that i couldn't get from a bearing factor.)

Good advice. I bought a spherical bearing for my Whyte JW4 for about a tenner rather than £37 from Ebay! It was the same ISO bearing as originally fitted by Whyte.

hamster":260wv3mh said:
Even cheaper, buy the bearings from your local trading estate's bearing factor!

Some will be like this, one I recently when hunting for was a bike specific bearing not available in any of the big players (SKF, RHP, NSK) books. Annoying as I buy quite a few bearings and drive components from engineers mate on eBay.

Carl.

Back