Hope IS-IS disc brake adapter on 2002 Orange P7 conundrum

rwm1962

Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
The Hope Mini's I'm fitting to a 2002 Orange P7 run 165mm front & 145mm rear by default (No:5 Caliper)

As 145mm discs are thin on the ground my plan was to run 165mm both ends with 20mm adapter at the back. If I decided I needed more stopping power the plan was to go 185mm both ends with a 40mm adapter at back & 20mm adapter at front

I was pleased to see Hope IS-IS adapters at 20mm & 40mm were still available so grabbed a set.

Problem is neither adapter will fit the rear frame mount. Front fork is no problem. The frame mount is quite clunky & the square profile means I can only get one bolt aligned on the adapter.

Is it maybe the case Orange never considered this scenario on these early disc ready frames (came with V brakes) hence the basic frame mount?

I've since seen another couple of IS-IS adapter online but looks like they could have the same problem.

I suspect I need to file the frame mount down, rounding the outside edges. Anyone else come up against this?

Some potential alternatives, available in +20 & +40mm. Not hopeful.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 612
  • 43201-0-full-ad-486-505.jpg
    43201-0-full-ad-486-505.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 612
  • is-is180.jpg
    is-is180.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 611
I've decided to return the 40mm adapter & for same money bought the next Mini caliper size up - the 3, which runs a 165mm rotor without an adapter.

The 20mm adapter will go up front so I can run 185mm

Better than grinding the mount.

Interesting exercise!

I have a similar issue with my Pace F8 frame, the rear disc mount is a bit square on the top hole.
In this case it seems to take a mono mini caliper OK but I tried to fit an M4 and had the same issue as you. I tried the adaptors too, Hope +20 and an A2Z +20, and neither would fit. Seems odd but also not that surprising really.

Bugger isn't it! I wasn't aware of the different caliper sizes within the same model on these earlier Hopes until I hit this problem. At least it provided a resolution. As the bikes going to become my main rider I don't want to be scratting around for replacement 145mm rotors.

This is on the Hope support page but I've put it here for anyone who finds this thread having the same issue.
I've changed from caliper 5 to 3. Fortunately I hadn't fitted all the new seals & pistons to the old one yet. Love Hope for the parts & info availability.

Attachments

• pdf.JPG
    pdf.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 578
Re:

Was the post mount standard for calipers not growing in 2002 so using an IS-POST adaptor wouldn't be a problem on that frame.

Aye, unlikely to be an issue with IS-Post. Can't comment on timelines as I'm late to this game. That there were different calipers for different rotor sizes would support that. Was it the same for other makes of brake?

Back