RM ETSX-70 Main pivot bearings pulling advice

fiendish feet

Retro Guru
Well its that time of year to give this this frame an overhaul.
changed x6 bearings last year with home-made drifts,but just cleaned and repacked the main bearings..
In my quest to silence an annoying elusive click click
Its now time to replace the two 3001 2rs bearings
these are both blind bearings
Ive seen a slide hammer kit on Ebay for £20.00
Anyone have any advice or tips or other means of removing blind
double row bearings that will be locktited in place.
Read some threads about not using slide hammers on bicycles?
thoughts

If you can't drift (or better, press) 'em out from behind, and you can't use the soggy bread trick, a slide hammer would be the way to go, IMO.

If they're loctited, you may (will) want to apply heat first, ~250°C for Loctite 648.

As for not using slide hammers on bikes, I can't see any reason not to. Slide hammers apply force exactly where it's needed, and in the direction required. A lot less dangerous for the parts donor^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H bike than using punches and the like, IMO.

tufty":nxpotu6l said:
If you can't drift (or better, press) 'em out from behind, and you can't use the soggy bread trick, a slide hammer would be the way to go, IMO.

If they're loctited, you may (will) want to apply heat first, ~250°C for Loctite 648.

As for not using slide hammers on bikes, I can't see any reason not to. Slide hammers apply force exactly where it's needed, and in the direction required. A lot less dangerous for the parts donor^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H bike than using punches and the like, IMO.
Thank you for your reply ,
Soggy bread trick never heard of this i will research more.
And heating the loctite makes sense .
Slide hammer it is then ,always wanted one .
Merry Christmas

Back