Bike lights that are just too bright.

dyna-ti":33zsx1vd said:
You know the ones, those flashing favoured by commuters. Bloody distracting if you ask me :?

I have a simple 100 lum flashing front light on the commuter, and it illuminates a good 300m with every road sign at that distance flashing back in unison.
But these super high power lamps also illuminate road signs and other reflective surfaces at a good distance, but its when they draw nearer you're damn near blinded.

I just think its went from being seen to being distracting. Or the maritime standard fog lamp on the back. Again annoying in that it is distracting.

Anyone concur ?

Honestly, no. Whilst it's annoying there are far, far, far more serious and potentially fatal challenges than this. Just pull-over and wait for them to pass.

Given that it is really a small light, and the things that hit cyclists have their own lights, then isn't reflective clothing a better solution, rather than a small though intense small lamp.
Plus all of the services and associated industries that work around vehicles all use reflective apparel, so the reflective nature is effectively hardwired into just about everyone.
Perhaps in the world of many lights, reflective striping is safer because it is more noticeable. Hi viz is used for this reason. What would you rather have if you were working by the side of a motorway :? A small blinking, but possibly blinding light, or a high visibility vest.

OK, I'll assume everyone knows im inferring this is at night, not during the day. When its all down to observance. :)

When I am competing with modern car headlights to be seen I will use all the power I can get. If that upsets a car driver so be it, they would be even more upset with me planted in the side of their car when they couldn't see my puny light because of the high level super bright lights on a German SUV behind me, thinking they had time to pull out in front of it.

A bit aggressive is it not :? After all the car driver is using dipped lights. Were they to use them full beam with the devil may care attitude of like it or lump it, would that be a sufficient reason ?.

Biggest bugbear for me commuting this time of year is cyclists with overbright lights. Most of my route is offroad/mixed use. Being dazzled by over-bright lights can blind you to a pedestrian behind the dazzler. I nearly hit another cyclist tonight as his light was so bright it looked like headlight of oncoming car on the road to the side of the cycle track - really threw the perspective as they were invisible behind the light. A lot of these multi thousand lumen lights are great on trails in the woods where riders aren't going to be coming the other direction but are overkill on lit paths/tracks. Just cos you have the lumen doesn't mean you have to use them. Be safe be seen but not to the point you're a danger to others. Dial the power down, tilt the light down. & mega bright lights on helmets - save them for the wilds & woods! They are anti-social elsewhere.

If you put your lights on in the dark & go face your bike from about 20 foot away you could be surprised how bright your lights are. I was - even on the dimmest setting so I always ensure it's dipped to shine right in front of the wheel on routes with other riders/pedestrians.

Aye there's plenty other hazards to worry about but anti-social or ignorant behaviour from other cyclists is disappointing. It's usually the ones with the flash bikes/ebikes & the high tech toys. Riding among the old fella's going to work with no helmet, high-viz work jacket & dim light is a pleasure compared to the some of the 'serious' looking riders I pass.

Re:

When I am driving and my visibility is reduced, by fog, rain excessive lights on other vehicles I slow down to ensure I can stop within my field of vision. I do the same on my bike, I don't blindly carry on.

I have no issue with other cyclists using bright lights, I just make allowances to keep me safe and the knock on effect to that is everyone else is safe from me.

I believe there are some german standards for lights used on the road, beam patterns etc.

Ride accordinging to allow for weather & poor practice - aye, not have an issue with poor practice - nah. One offs no problem but it's rife with the the new battery & LED technology & the brighter is better mentality of a lot of riders.

mattr":pcqs2r60 said:
I believe there are some german standards for lights used on the road, beam patterns etc.

The same Germans who manufacture cars with headlights so bright they are a danger to every other road users? Dazzle you from the front and even worse dazzle you through your own car mirrors when they are behind!

It is a war to be seen out there. Both yesterday and today I had vehicles pull out of side roads in front of me, in daylight. Today I also had someone force me to a hard left when I was travelling uphill between two rows of parked cars, but the van coming downhill could not wait despite me being half way into the narrowed road before he arrived.

When on my eBike I run a Cree at max in daylight and never have such issues, I need to move the Cree to my analogue bikes. Piss off some more drivers and some other cyclists, based on some of the comments here, but make myself safe.

Back