Giant Box One - Under construction

RagingPanthro

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I just bought a Giant Box One.
It needs work but the frame is free from cracks, so it's good for a project.
Can anyone help advise on the following:
Rear shock needs new bushes or completely replacing or upgrading to an air shock (Not sure which would fit)?
Other bits need refreshing like rear wheel bearings, headstem, seat and cables.
Original fork also needs complete overhaul, might just keep the existing marzochi on there.

Re:

Can anyone help with this?
What rear air shock would fit a Giant Box One? Or how easy is it to source and replace the bushes on the existing one?
Thanks

Re:

I've seen a couple of the Giant Box bikes on this site so someone might come along with some info.
I would think the chances of finding exact replacement bushes would be slim, but they may be a fairly standard size or common to another bike, you might need to take measurements and do some Googling. Eg you might be able to pick up a lower model of Box frame that has decent condition bushes you could use. If you get nowhere then maybe 3D printing or having some fabricated might be an option.
Welcome to the retro bike money pit :LOL:

But I'd use the Search function on here first, and Google, and Facebook, maybe someone had the same problem and has the solution already.

Re:

Thanks for your replies, I have just stripped the bike down and given it a clean and generous spray of GT85 and WD40 which has brought it back to life.

It seems that it wasn't so much the rear shock which was causing play, just a loose pivot which I have now tightened, so all good!

Re:

Has anyone got a spare 26" rear mtb wheel, with 9 speed cassette, suitable for rim brake? Tyres not needed. In the Swindon area ideally.

Have a look on the For Sale section, maybe check Gumtree and Facebook Market place near you too.

Back