** Retro and more modern SPD Footwear **

velofrog

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
Fashion.... not really my thing.... as can probably be seen by these.... my 'cycling boots' that I bought new in 1999!! :facepalm:

Stupidly back then I cut away some of the tread as I was sure I needed more room on the sole to be able to 'clip in', but now the tread is so low the cleats hit the ground when walking and it sounds like they have segs fitted! :oops: :LOL:

The tread is worn though, and they're not the grippiest of things when walking....

Attachments

• W100b.jpeg
    W100b.jpeg
    202 KB · Views: 506
  • W100a.jpeg
    W100a.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 506
Re:

So, I recently found these used MT91 boots for sale at a really good price.
Considering they were around £170 new and had great reviews online I decide to take a punt on them and see what I could do in the way of 'refurbishment'.... if it works for bikes why not shoes?! :D

Attachments

• MT91dirty2.jpeg
    MT91dirty2.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 502
  • MT91dirty.jpeg
    MT91dirty.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 502
Re:

And here's the result! :cool:

After lots of washing, scrubbing and leather treatments they've come up brilliantly! There's barely any wear to the soles and the leather is in fantastic condition! Put some new cleats on and job done! They're very comfortable and feel much warmer than the old purple boots, look much more casual and don't make a sound when walking.... perfect!

Attachments

• MT91e.jpeg
    MT91e.jpeg
    265.4 KB · Views: 502
  • MT91d.jpeg
    MT91d.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 502
  • MT91c.jpeg
    MT91c.jpeg
    282.6 KB · Views: 502
  • MT91b.jpeg
    MT91b.jpeg
    252.4 KB · Views: 502
  • MT91a.jpeg
    MT91a.jpeg
    275.7 KB · Views: 502
Re:

That's a really good job, well done on recycling.

I have a pair of new cleats from back in the 90s that need a new home. Have the plates but no bolts, karma if you can use them for sharing your boots with us. Just pick up postage (probably large letter).

Back