Bike lights that are just too bright.

dyna-ti

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
You know the ones, those flashing favoured by commuters. Bloody distracting if you ask me :?

I have a simple 100 lum flashing front light on the commuter, and it illuminates a good 300m with every road sign at that distance flashing back in unison.
But these super high power lamps also illuminate road signs and other reflective surfaces at a good distance, but its when they draw nearer you're damn near blinded.

I just think its went from being seen to being distracting. Or the maritime standard fog lamp on the back. Again annoying in that it is distracting.

Anyone concur ?

Re:

I wouldn't have agreed a few years ago, but would half-agree now, I guess LED lights and batteries have improved a lot.
I'm all for being seen (and even if you think it's a distraction at least you DO see the cyclist), I think a lot of problems are caused by the lights being angled up slightly, straight into a driver's eyes.
My main off-road front light on full seems almost as bright as a car headlight! So I can imagine that shining straight in your eyes could be an issue. I run it on the Low power setting on the road and make sure it's angled slightly downwards (the forest wildlife however gets the full retina burning treatment :LOL: ).

At least folk get seen and not squished. I can put up with an annoyingly bright light a few times per journey for that.

Re:

I think it's more like people don't adjust them properly. I nearly crashed the other day on a shared cycle path because the cyclist coming towards me had his light adjusted at exactly eye level so i couldn't see bugger all. When i pointed it out to this knob he got all offended and didn't see it as a problem. Dickhead.

that and cars with HID lights, fog lights on and all badly aimed too! then we have the tight gits with only one headlight or only one sidelight on cos its too hard/expensive to fit a new one. Seems today that no one gives a rats ass as to the consequences of what they do or don't do, as it's always someone else's fault. I'll get back in to my straight jacket now please nurse!

It's really hard to get one with a beam pattern that is low and wide. Most waste half their light illiminating bats and owls. I think that's largely down to poor design.
I ride a lot off road in the winter; certainly I find that it's more comfortable running on a lower setting as I keep dark adaptation for my peripheral vision. However most of the people I ride with seem to prefer a Group B Rally Car alternative. They also don't turn them off at stops, which means that somebody inevitably gets dazzled.

I saw a owl flying last night with my Six pack - think it was a barn owl - then I saw a badger..I think "highlights" the issue!

One old trick I learned from cycling at night in country lanes where both parties can be late to dip is to close one eye when you see a moving light ahead. That means you are only blinded in one eye.

I try to dip my cycle lights now when I see pedestrians, cyclists and motorists. It's the courteous thing to do and in my early days with super bright lights, I noticed a few cars pulling to one side and stopping - presumably due to being dazzled.

Been running my front light on "constant" (eg, not flashing) for a while, which is obviously much better on an unlit cycle path but also I generally have found car users to be more compliant with it in this mode.

It's facing to the floor because that helps me see better and also doesn't blind anyone.

Downside is the battery doesn't last long at all like this.

Back