RST 461 internals upgrade

W7Ford

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
I have a set of 461 forks kicking around (I know, I know, bear with me) that have some sentimental value. Is there an upgrade that i could do to these forks internally to make them half decent whilst retaining the lower legs?

rst-461.jpg

Re:

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would pitch in, but it doesn't look as though they're going to.

I know you can mess about with some forks, swapping parts from different models to modify or upgrade them, change the travel, etc.. However, as far as I know, RST 461s are pretty basic, essentially just a spring in a tube, and as such, other than firmer or softer springs to better suit your weight, I'm not sure what you could do.

A good clean and a re-grease wouldn't do any harm. You could probably do a more thorough job than this guy: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eoE3iMyr50[/youtube]

Appreciate the reply xerxes. I think that if they cant be upgraded, I might have to make do with having them as an ornament on the garage wall. I was hoping that something like a Mozo Pro's internals might be a direct swap into them and make them a bit more reasonable.

Re:

You possibly could, however, I'm not so sure about mixing and matching between brands, you're more likely find incompatabilities. All forks are essentially very similar, tubes, rods, springs and seals, but you'd probably need a fair bit of trial and error to find parts from one brand that work with another.

I know with Fox and RockShox forks many parts are common across different models within their respective ranges and are interchangeable because the stanchions and lowers are the same diameter 28, 32, 35mm, etc. and the fittings are similar across the various models.

Ultimately, given enough time and messing about, it's possible. But probably not economical. :D

Re:

Mozo pro forks are made by rst so things could be possible. The lower legs on yours look similar in style to them. The simplest thing you could do is buy some pros and swap the lower legs over, assuming you aren't wedded to everything on your current fork barring the internals.

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for a pair of Mozo's. They were a gift when i was a teenager and are in really good shape (marks in the pic are road tar, not damage). Happy to keep just the lower legs.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back