Is it ok to put new parts on a retro project

Re:

Lol....fair one.

A) it’s mine.
B) to remind me of my youth and what it could have been if I had the money. :LOL:

Just ordered some Paul Love Levers and Motolites.....and a t shirt (couldn’t resist it)

And that’s the best answer.......

However sometimes they look far better than they ride, and you end up feeling a tad disappointed- queue my Manitou FS. However the Orange X1 in stark contrast far surpassed my expectations
The daft thing is the Orange is relatively worthless !

Wow - I could have posted that! Same bike, same year, same questions! Plus a 2001.

Go for it! I may even post some pics of mine!

Re: Re:

Mattydoors":232b5mx3 said:
Ta and while I’m here.....having been a roadie since 2003 I’m not sure if it’s actually worth paying Pace 115 notes to service the forks since they seem to go up and down ok....thoughts?

Fork English aka Justbackdated on here have just serviced & re-decaled my Pace Airforce II's & RC38 Evo's (for my 2001 & 1998 P7's)

Grand job!

Re:

Thanks Retro Spud.....that’s the great thing about being middle aged, the P7 cost me a oner and yet I’ll spend 20 times that having it resprayed and hanging bits off it and yet not regret it.
Never quite understood people like me when I was younger :LOL:
I bought a bike on the cycle scheme last year for bombing about on for a grand and it’s probably the best bike I’ve ever ridden but do I love it like my 13 year old Trek with all its DA or my uncomfortable but mean looking pub bike. Nope. Old people are strange.

On my bike?

Everything is original vintage spec except the 6770 shifters and derailleurs but then I did that for my own reasons too. I wanted to do a retro bike with a Dura Ace 7800 groupset with a twist while staying true to the intent of a racing bike. But honestly do what you want. It's your bike and you're the one who's going to ride it. This way it looks like a more expensive race bike (like a CAAD:cool: but its not an expensive race bike.

Attachments

• B140552.jpg
    B140552.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 527
Disco paint jobs are a great look! And as for the wheels.....I’d love to have been able to even sit on a bike with those but it’s have collapsed!
My 2005 Trek5000 has 7800. My personal opinion is that I don’t think they have ever bettered the look.....the mechs looked classic DA, the crankset had a modern look but was still a thing of beauty (later stuff looks mean and moody but it lost something IMHO).
The other great thing is that these days second hand 7800 is a steal for what you’re getting.
Oh and chapeau for not having a compact, I refuse to succumb!

Its from a great time in history. You're right, those wheels aren't spoked for Clydesdale class riders but they're surprisingly decent if you're capable of riding them. The 7800 groupset is something special. My brother works in a bike shop so I get some deals here and there they had fresh 7800 chain rings sitting on the shelf which inspired me to use them. I refuse to succumb to using a compact chain ring because as soon as you do you also lose your ability to crank out real watts when you need them. I do wish sometimes I could fit a 32t on the rear though for climbing.

Back