Is it ok to put new parts on a retro project

Mattydoors

Dirt Disciple
Morning all, reliving my youth I have bought a 98 Orange P7 frame, some Pace RC36 evos and some hope tiglide hubs on Mavics. My plan is to spunk a small fortune on doing this up to make it like the one I sold (and always regretted) back in the day. I’m gonna put XTR 951/2 on it but after that am thinking of putting on stuff that will be new but I consider ‘in the spirit of retro’ so Paul Motolites and Love Levers, Middleburn cranks and probably Thomson masterpiece/ti bits.
Will I be kicked off this site and people spit at me as I ride past or is this a thoughtful build with a nod to the P7’s past?

Re:

Ta and while I’m here.....having been a roadie since 2003 I’m not sure if it’s actually worth paying Pace 115 notes to service the forks since they seem to go up and down ok....thoughts?

Mattydoors":bj63au0w said:
Morning all, reliving my youth I have bought a 98 Orange P7 frame, some Pace RC36 evos and some hope tiglide hubs on Mavics. My plan is to spunk a small fortune on doing this up to make it like the one I sold (and always regretted) back in the day. I’m gonna put XTR 951/2 on it but after that am thinking of putting on stuff that will be new but I consider ‘in the spirit of retro’ so Paul Motolites and Love Levers, Middleburn cranks and probably Thomson masterpiece/ti bits.
Will I be kicked off this site and people spit at me as I ride past or is this a thoughtful build with a nod to the P7’s past?

I don’t think anyone would flame you for the above, if you were proposing to put 150mm+ Carlos Fandango forks on it or riser bars and bar ends then you might get a few :facepalm:
Do it your way- have fun re-living the past or even making dreams come true- and then get out and ride it !

As for the forks ride them first and then make your mind up, there’s plenty of knowledgeable folk on here who could help you D.I.Y or offer a service.

I don’t think you should worry unless you’re going for a totally catalogue spec super fussy took me years to find the right spoke nipples type build.

Nice stuff is always good. I won’t post any pictures but I swing both ways depending.

Build it how you want it, as long as you enjoy riding it that is what matters.
You can buy elastomer kits from Pace to do it yourself if they need work.
Put up lots of photos of progress.

Re:

Thanks all, nice to know I’m ‘acceptable’.
Cheers for the fork advice....I’ll just get some new decals from them and then see how the forks go.
Once I finally work out how to post pics on here I’ll keep you updated.
Somewhat pathetically I am a little bit excited about getting the Paul stuff as I couldn’t afford it back in the day...I’ll just tell the wife I got them from Halfords in the sale. :D

Re:

There is a member on here Tim (justbackdated) who used to work for pace services forks.

He just re-built my RC36 forks for me. Will be cheaper than pace - mine needed a lot of replacement parts (crown, stanchions, fork brace) and came in at £140

Back