Reverb bleed/rebuild help

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Bought a reverb stealth post recently knowing it needed work to get it working. Cosmetically it is perfect so that's a good start, no marks or wear at all. The issue is that by default it is in the down position, though the shaft moves freely and has no play.

The remote was detached and has no fluid in so my first job is to bleed it. However all guides I've read/watched suggest thst you should bleed it in the fully extended position.

Can I do the bleed with the shaft down, or do I need to do something else?

Any advice gratefully received.

Re:

Could just be lacking air pressure but sounds like something’s gone inside with the seals. If all is well there should be resistance to pulling up. STOP moving the shaft if the post is down. If there’s air in it, it can get sucked past seals causing it to suck down.
Stick a shock pump on it and see what happens.
If it already has decent pressure (250 psi) then I’d just bleed it in the down position to see if you can get it to work.
Sounds like you can’t make it much worse.

Re:

It had about 100psi but topped that up to 250. There is resistance when pulling up on the post. I suspect as the cable has been removed that a bleed is the minimum needed to find out if there are further issues. It had a recent service and was left unused for a while apparently. It's a fairly new one and didn't cost me much so happy to fettle with it, just new territory as only used joplins before now.

Re:

The remote system is a different system to the post itself.

Sounds like the seals or IFP has let air passed. There’s a bloke who does them near Bolton for not a lot of cash

Re:

That’s the one. My mate has used him and rates him. I’ve always just returned mine to Sram as I’m always in warranty as bikes get changed so often.

Re:

Cheers. £60 sounds reasonable and have seen some decent feedback for them. Might try my lbs to see what can be done as sending to sram seems to often result in a new post being returned, even if out of warranty.

Re:

Sram has changed their policy now and repair posts. They moaned at me just recently as apparently my post hasn’t been serviced. I’ve only had it 11 months and it’s on a bike I use once a week during summer apart from a trip to Spain in summer.

Back