Cranks Brothers stems - one good, one cheese?

TBH, I've always avoided buying anything from crank bros with moving parts.

They aren't so good at moving parts.

Re:

yes....I am beginning to think that way too. I bought a nice looking Cobalt 3 31.6 400mm seatpost for Alex's COTIC but found it had a weird characteristic....namely you put the saddle in, do the single bolt fixing up, install in bike and then try to adjust rake...ie undo bolt and.....bolt loosens, but nothing else does. Very odd. So before do anything like wacking it with a large lump hammer, I look it all up on here. Turns out that CB have had the bright idea of looking at all the perfectly sensible ways of gripping a saddle (USE and old Syncros still seeming pretty light and bulletproof to me), they decide to use two parts which interface WITH DIFFERENT RADII.....What? This is almost as bonkers as Peugeot engineering....motto 'we do it differently.....so that it doesn't really work....but at least it's different....'. Yes, CB say that making it so that IT DOESN'T ACTUALLY FIT TOGETHER means that it jams together really tightly. Which it does. So I get out the lump hammer and give it a tap, and yes, it all springs apart so that I can adjust it and tighten it back down again. So now all I need to do if I want to adjust it on the fly is use the lump hammer I now need to carry in my Camelbak.

Have to agree with mattr - cb stuff looks good, but that's it. Read a review of some new carbon wheels they are introducing staring at £2000+ a pair up to £2500 +. You would have to be bonkers.

Back