2001 Kona Lava Dome - forks

stockni

Dirt Disciple
Hi everyone,

I’ve recently picked up a 2001 Lava Dome with RST381 forks. They’re in pretty poor condition and not sure they’re worth salvaging, so on the market for a replacement.

I’d like to fit a rigid fork, and have been on the hunt for a set of Kona P2 with no luck so far, so have been looking at the carbon.cc and Rose alternatives. My preference would be carbon over alu/steel although tat £40 the Rose ones have some appeal! Forks need to be 26” threadless and V-brand or canti compatible - not disc. Are there alternatives I should be looking at?

But what length should I be looking for? The RSTs are approx 80mm travel but not sure they’re original (RS Jet according to catalogue)

Thanks in advance

Nick

Attachments

• B8E02D8D-0A73-4B8E-8241-2F325CF85E2F.jpeg
    B8E02D8D-0A73-4B8E-8241-2F325CF85E2F.jpeg
    56.4 KB · Views: 560
I have the Exotic 420mm forks on my Kona Kaboom, which has identical geometry. They take out buzz a little more than the P2 (I had a triple butted set on the bike) and can thoroughly recommend them. They are no lighter than the TB P2 though!

Re:

Typically they’re the ones sold out on carbon.cc so will have to find them elsewhere. Have you tried the alu ones? I imagine they’d be a bit harsh.

The Rose ones also look like they might be a bit short at 39.5cm

39.5 is definitely too short, the bike will be nervous and twitchy.

I've not tried the alloy ones. However, looking on the site the carbon CC-F0225 combi IS disc and V is in stock.

Re:

Unfortunately that’s the 1 1/8 steerer. 1” sold out and not back in stock until nearer end of the year. I’ll keep an eye on classifieds and eBay until then

Back