Crown race removal

Fatal Swan

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Crown race removal - I've done this several times (badly!) over the years by tapping a flat screwdriver and levering it up, but I've got a set of forks with a carbon steerer that I need to do so that's not an option.

Any advice on this? The cheapest tool around seems to be about £22 which I guess I could stomach as an investment that I should have made years ago. But are there any cheaper and satisfactory options? Are bearing separators like this up to the job in a safe way (they're half the price)? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bearing-Gear ... 1880925478

Or does anyone want to sell me one? :)

Cheers

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've used cheap stanley knife blades. Wedged in alternate sides, once you get two or three in each side, the race tends to just pop off.

mattr":wzjuwz6k said:
I've used cheap stanley knife blades. Wedged in alternate sides, once you get two or three in each side, the race tends to just pop off.
Thanks - yep I've done this one before too but this a pricey full carbon fork (EC90 SLX) and an errant blade into the steerer (which I've also done before...) is going to be an expensive mistake!

Which makes me think I'm talking myself into the 'shell out for the right tool' option...

Re:

It depends on how many times you are going to use the tool really
I bought one on line have only used it once so far but it was safer than the flat blade screwdriver method which I admit I have always used before but on steel forks ice toolz I believe.

Re:

I'd just bite the bullet and buy a crown race removal tool suitable for carbon forks.
The other day I removed a Campag crown race with a screwdriver and hammer, crown race came off but ended up marking it and taking a bit of paint off the forks :facepalm:
So now the £20 crown race removal tool looks like good value! :LOL:

Yeah, if i was a serial swapper, i'd probably get one.
But i tend to keep forks until they die, and generally replace like for like. So the crown race stays on.

And many of mine are split races too.

If your that bothered about the forks then just buy the tool, you have it then, and tools you can always sell on in the future.

Re:

If it's just a one off, take the fork to your LBS, shouldn't be more than a fiver to pop the crown race off. In my shop workshop I've got a £200 park tool crown race remover, and insurance in case anything goes wrong. I'm all for competent home mechanics, but some jobs/tools just aren't worth it if they're only going to be used very occasionally.

Re:

If you’re unsure with the carbon forks then I agree your lbs is the best option.

Split your own crown races in future though, it’s the perfect solution.
The resulting gap is tiny and doesn’t affect performance in any way whatsoever. You can put a bit of grease over the split or do what I do and face the split forward so the front wheel isn’t flinging muck directly at it. Been doing it for years, even my brand new CK got the dremel treatment! :cool:

Back