Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:37 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

I currently have a bunch of older mid 90s 3x7/3x8 shimano stx/stx-rx/lx shifters on my bikes and they all work, but i`ve read somewhere that the shifting degrades, becomes sloppy over time. This is not about sticky cables or rusty shifters, i`m only referring to normal mechanical wear from inside the shifter pod.

So in ideal conditions, does the precision of the shifting degrade over time? I buy mine used and so far i`ve been pretty lucky, apart from a rusty stx set(which still work after cleaning them), the rest seem to shift very well, especially stx-rc/lx shifters.

I just wanna know what to expect, if these fail, what am i going to replace them with? :cry:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:06 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Yes, they do wear out, some faster than others, especially if they get dirt inside. Replace them with thumbshifters. I have only managed to wear two sets of those out in 30yrs !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:37 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Well, everything wears out eventually. Can't say I've noticed any RF+ shifters that have got "sloppy" , I've had thumb shifters that have had a bit of play in them though :P

Unless you use your bike everyday then they'll last years and years, even if you do they'll still last many years. Just buy some spares now "just in case" :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Anything with moving parts will wear over time!

The fact you use shifters from the '90's and they were second hand when you got them kinda answers your own question, are any of them sloppy?

Buy yourself some more if your worried, for when they do wear out years from now :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:05 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I've got the LX 56x variety on a commuter which were used when I got them about seven years ago and I can't say I've noticed any degradation since then. The degrading will take place so slowly over many years that it will be almost imperceptible and then of course there are variations in the condition of the rest of the drivetrain components to take into account. That said, I've got some Grip Shift units which have definitely 'gone off' a bit.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:16 pm 

michael franks wrote:
. That said, I've got some Grip Shift units which have definitely 'gone off' a bit.

Heresy!!

The shift of the grip is eternal and everlasting! :D :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Have you tried spraying wd40 or gt85 etc inside them a few times while working the levers & then squirting some some thicker sewing machine/light gear/engine oil in them? I've picked up many pairs of slow/ faulty types which are fine after a squirt of oil.

Everything wears out but Guinness says there's a 1966 Volvo still knocking about with over a million miles on it :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 pm 
Dirt Disciple

mkone wrote:
Anything with moving parts will wear over time!

The fact you use shifters from the '90's and they were second hand when you got them kinda answers your own question, are any of them sloppy?

Buy yourself some more if your worried, for when they do wear out years from now :)

True. I always worry for the future availability of 3x7/3x8 transmission parts, so i wonder. Guess the only thing i can do is to continue stocking up on cassettes and shifters. Gotta get ready for the bleak future of disposable carbon frames and 1x15 tractor transmissions- you`re laughing now, but it`s coming ! :shock: