Going 10 speed 1x

tufty

Retro Guru
So, going 1x on my Sunn, Shimano (I don't get on with Sram shifters, horrible bloody things). I *thought* I'd got it all worked out, 10s SLX or similar shifters, XT if I can get my hands on them at a decent price, and an XT 786 mech (with either long b screw, goatlink, cage mod, or some combination of the above), 30 narrow-wide up front with an 11-46 cassette, All going well, cassette already in my hot sticky fingers, chainring on the way, mech negotiated but not yet paid or sent, and then I very nearly accidentally bought a Sora flatbar shifter.

And then I remembered the road 10s stuff has the same pull ratios as 7/8/9s MTB. So, what's the odds I can get away with using a "9 speed" shadow mech to shift a big cassette?

Re:

Just get a 10 speed mech if you want 1 x 10.

A long cage 9-speed mech might reach up to 36 or 40T or so, after that you could try a longer b-tension screw or one of the Chinese Wolftooth Goatlink copies on eBay for a few quid.

But it's probably be easier to get 10speed bits in the first place tbh.

Yeah, I figured so, just wondered if it might work. Hell, even 10 speed stuff seems to require buggering about to go to dinner plate cassettes.

cheers.

So, update time.

Bits all turned up, and mounted. ntto 11-46 cassette (a bit heavy, but it was properly cheap), 30t n/w ring from Amazon, of all places (again, like me, it was very cheap), SLX shifter and XT 786 SGS mech.

DSC03352.jpg

The cassette included a longer b-screw, which, when screwed in *all* the way, lets the derailleur shift to the 46T cog. It's far from perfect, but it works. I figured this was likely to be the case, andI'd planned on swapping the cage out anyway (it's a super-long cage, only really needed for 2 or 3 x 10 setups). Now, One-up components' RAD / RADr / SHARK cages are built for this type of setup, with an offset top pulley that automagically moves away from the cassette as you go to the bigger cogs. But they're spendy, and I'm cheap. And I've got a lathe and milling setup. And, as luck would have it, there are enough detailed high resolution photos of the aforementioned cages to do a quick dimensioned drawing or two...

Then, as I was removing the existing (and utterly horrible) Deore "mega 9" M510 derailleur, I noticed something.

DSC03350.jpg

It's got an offset top pulley. The magical offset pulley that allows a derailleur to shift "flatter" cassettes is not a one-up invention, or even an 11s specific thing, but something Shimano have been doing for years.

So I think I may try modding that cage. It means removing the pivot pin, which appears to be pressed in and non-removable, ad machining up a new one to match the 786 mounting point, removing the travel stop (again, pressed in), drilling and tapping a hole for the M786 stop, and probably drilling a hole for the tension spring.

Wish me luck, lads, I'm going in!

Aaaaand - scratch that plan. The M786 travel stop falls outside of the M510 cage. Bugger.

Looks like I'm waiting for the boy to get back with the car, so I can buy some aluminium.

Re:

So, anyway, after a good while off the bike due to a buggered back (again), I managed to get some riding in on this setup.

My bodged prototype longer-than-goatlink works a treat, and allows the M786 shifter to clear an 11-46 cassette. It'd probably clear an 11-55, I went a bit overboard :) With a 30 tooth ring up front, I've gained a bit at the low end (I could probably live with 32 teeth up front, but hey, it's done now) and lost 3 cogs at the high end. Climbs like a bastard, and shifting doesn't seem to have been to badly affected. Perhaps a hesitation shifting towards the high end, but that's a shift that happens downhill, so...

I'll probably end up making a new cage anyway. Can't leave well enough alone :)

Photo taken before swapping out the link for my prototype.

DSC03352.jpg

Back