Just gone 1x10.

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
In a weird roundabout way, I've actually gone back to the way I used to ride. Back in the late 90s, I was runnning a tiny jump frame with a single ring and chain device. Being a poor student, it was my only bike so fulfilled XC duties too, and was made mainly of m737.

I actually have a 'modern' bike too (hey, it's only 10 years old!) as a beater, and needed a new drivetrain, so I thought I'd see what the fuss is about.

M8000 rear mech, a cheapy narrow wide chainring, and an 11-46 sunrace cassette. I had some wiggle vouchers, and they were running an offer, so I got the whole lot for about £100.

Running my old m780 shifter and a new chain, damn!

Shifting is superb, and with a 34t chainring, I've only lost the equivelent of a cog at the bottom end, and two at the top. I'm not worried about cadence, I'm a lazy shifter, so often end up double shifting a lot, but even so, the ratios really are bang on.

So, to anyone wondering about making the jump, I'm another saying; It works.

Peace. :D

Just pricing this up myself, M8000 shifter, mech and unsure of cassette and cranks but likely 11spd XT or Sunrace. The XT single cranks look so cool

I may try this myself at some point - I've already got a narrow-wide 34t chainring on a set of XT cranks (from a single speed I built), so it's just the cassette, mech, chain and possibly shifter I need to obtain.

Things I’ve learnt that might be useful:
- Sunrace cassettes have less of a ratio jump to the granny ring
- the single speed specific cranks a) look better and b) are specifically designed without the need to effectively drop the chain and hence hold the chain on the ring better
- you need a smaller chainring than you think
- RH shifters are cheap, even in 11spd
- 11 speed Shimano cassettes fit on old Shimano compat 7/8/9 speed hubs
- Shimano were late to the 1x party
- medium rear mech will suffice

The sunrace 11-46 has really nice ratios IMO. this is the 10 speed mx3, and an old XT 10 speed shifter.

A triple crankset gives a good chainline, a double would be harder to get a decent chainline.

Looking at the spread that the mech has to accommodate, Id wager the key is the 11 speed clutch mech. I just don't beleive a mech not designed will be really happy at either end of the range, even with a goatlink/radcage, and I got mine brand new for £40.

Tricky1977":bzodi9d6 said:
Things I’ve learnt that might be useful:
- Sunrace cassettes have less of a ratio jump to the granny ring
- the single speed specific cranks a) look better and b) are specifically designed without the need to effectively drop the chain and hence hold the chain on the ring better
- you need a smaller chainring than you think
- RH shifters are cheap, even in 11spd
- 11 speed Shimano cassettes fit on old Shimano compat 7/8/9 speed hubs
- Shimano were late to the 1x party
- medium rear mech will suffice

Was thinking about a similar project for my newly purchased 2008 Kona Dawg, but going 1 x 11. I have an XT M772 Shadow rear mech fitted and an 11 Speed XT M8000 Cassette kicking around in the garage. So what I was thinking is that I'd need:

1. An 11 Speed Shifter
2. An 11 Speed Chain
3. A Single Ring Crankset
4. BB to fit the Above Crankset

Other Questions were:
1. Rear hub is an M525 Disc, I hadn't tried to fit the 11s cassette (i've only had the bike a week and it's in shop soiled condition so I was enjoying it first) yet but it sounds like it will fit.
2. The M772 shadow mech is pretty nice and nearly new, would it work with 11s (it would be a real shame to ditch it)?

This could be quite a simple and cheap project I hope as the nearly new parts I could move on would part fund the upgrade.

EDIT - So after digging around the M772 won't work as pull ratios changed between 9/10/11 so you need a corresponding mech. However a Narrow/Wide 32T Chainring and bolts is only about £19 on the bay of E, add in an SLX or XT Shifter and rear mech and it should come in cheaper than replacing the crankset (which is a reasonable FSA Super Moto).

Carl.

I’ve priced the bits up as best I could and it came out at £200 for M8000/7000 (XT / SLX) mix. Sunrace cassette is an option and the same price as a M7000 cassette

But you already have some pieces, you might only need:
M8000 11 spd Shifter £28 new - will find the link
M7000 SLX “single”crank £80 new
Ref the rear mech, M8000 XT is £48 new

Apparently all 135mm Shimano compat hubs will fit a Shimano 11 spd cassette, but I can’t confirm this...

The reason I quote new is that by my searching, second hand saves you about £5-10 each item... I’m not sure about older gear but M8000/7000 is the first 1x10 Shimano as far as I know.

Someone may know of a cheaper way to 1x11 and I’d love to hear from you :)

Also as a side note - by my calcs a 32t won’t give you the best ratios if you’re coming from say 26/36/46 with 13-30 cassette. You’ll need a 36t minimum to get near your top ratio. I was even contemplating 38, just to get the same top ratio of 3.5 if my memory serves me correctly

Hope this helps! :)

Re:

The cassette will definitely fit.
Before you choose which one you fit,have a look at the ratios both might have the same range but the shimano has a nasty jump from 2nd to first gear.
Kes

Re:

I have a 2 x 11 that I use most and I use both top and bottom gears on it, however it's a 29er hardtail and used on firetrails, paths and roads. The 1 x will be a trail bike so I think looking at the ratios my brother and a a mate use a 32 front is needed here, the cassette will initially be 11-40 as that's what I have but I will change to the 11-46 when it wears out. That should give me a good spread on that bike.

Carl

Re:

Ordered a brand new SLX rear mech and 11 Speed Shifter today for less than £60 delivered.

Once I've sold on a couple more items I'll order the 32T ring and new SRAM 11 Speed chain.

I'll sell on the old Deore Mega 9 shifters, XT Rear and Deore front mech.

I'll keep the chain and cassette as spares for my boys Kona blast that still runs 9s.

Should work out at about £50 for the upgrade in total I reckon.

Carl.

Back