26" Tyre recommendations?

Re:

Picked up my new wheels last night - Halo "Freedom" disk. So now just to find the tyres.

I've asked a friend if I can try his maxxis 2.3 on the back to see whether it will clear the stays.

I'm away over the weekend but will update this next week hopefully.

Re:

If you know Geax tyres, you'll find they are now called Vittoria tyres.
That's if your looking at that On-One and wondering where you'd heard Gato before etc.

Minifreak":pnmwinef said:
I like Continental Trail Kings in 26x2.2. Got them on my GR STS-1 so it does have the benefit of suspension but I thrash it around trail centres with no issue.

Me too. I got them from Winstanley's in Wigan for 10 or 12 quid each. They're not folding and suit everything except for very wet conditions.

On-One Smorgasbords - 2.25”, go up easily tubeless and reasonably priced by today’s tyre standards. Made by Maxxis and available in single and dual compound.
I’ve used them as a rear tyre on my singlespeeds, in conjunction with a 2.4” Chunky Monkey on the front, ever since they were first available.
Excellent tyres!

Re: Re:

Joe_Rides":3vhmk301 said:
Ooh I like the look of those on-one smorgasboards!

I’ve never used them on the front because the Chunky Monkey is good for that but for a rear tyre I can recommend them.

Re:

Andy R":2htgp80k said:
I’ve never used them on the front because the Chunky Monkey is good for that but for a rear tyre I can recommend them.

It's the rear I'm most bothered about; I don't tend to have puncture issues with the front.

I bought a maxxis Ikon 2.2 last week at the trail centre (to try and get some riding done!), so I might run that on the front for now (it's brand new after-all) although I suspect I may have some grip issues in the wet (it's not very knobbly).

Re:

RIGHT

After far too much reading up today, I've ordered 1 x On-One Smorgasboard 2.25 for the rear.

I've also ordered a Maxxis DH tube for the rear.

That's going to make for a very heavy rear end, but I'm going to see how I go for now. After the amount of punctures I sustained on the last ride out I'm willing to haul more weight around for the convenience of not stopping every 10 minutes with snake-bites.

Front end will be the Maxxis Ikon 2.2 for now. I think it'll be slippy in the winter but we'll see.

Will update once it's all fitted and given a good testing!

Joe

Back