Hex screw stuck advice

tintin40

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Klein Fan
Feedback
View
Please. Drill out? any other way to remove the centre hex?

Attachments

• Stuck.JPG
    Stuck.JPG
    106.2 KB · Views: 679
Hammer in a flat bladed screwdriver :?

Is it seized and chewed off ?

If thats the case drilling the top off , will get the stem off, then grip the stump with moles. Failing that can you after drilling, will it hammer through ?

Re:

Next size up wrench plus hammer?

Stud extractor? conical bolt with opposite thread direction. Screw it into the top, crank up the torque with some lefty-tighty , out comes the bolt with the lefty-loosy.

Drill?

I suppose it depends what you have to hand and how little damage you want to do

Re:

Is it just stuck?

Or is the bolt head rounded off as well?

What's the fork steerer? Carbon? Alloy?

the hex is rounded. But as i told a bike mechanic this he undid it!! But when i got home and went to undo the offending hex it wouldn't un screw. The hex went round. So rounded and very tight. The hex is hollow. 100% Carbon fork.

I like some of the suggestions Thks

Re:

I've had success using a torx wrench in rounded Allen bolts. You might need to use some force to get the torx wrench in, but often it finds purchase without and you can unscrew. Good luck.

Aluminium or Ti?
If it's aluminium any of the hammering in options will work, with the added bonus of leaving your expander intact and ready to use. Failing that, just stick a 5.5mm/6mm drill bit in until the head pops off. It's even a nice shape for doing that!
Shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes.

Only issue with drilling is that you then need to get the shaft of the bolt out of the expander wedge........

It's Aluminium. Me, my beloved T and a drill are very much a last ditch move. The mechanic pointed out the issue with the expander wedge and drilling. So off to the shed...
Thanks

Good, a Ti one would require a BIG hammer and result in ruined tools. And the drilling would take ages........

TBH, if it's aluminium you should be able to grip (and mark) the top of any remaining shaft with a decent set of grips/pliers and turn it out.
Removing the cap will also give you access for penetrating oil etc. Which will ease the removal process.

Latest posts

Back