USE SX Shokpost, side play.

Kona-Ian

Senior Retro Guru
Have noticed slight side play on USE shokpost.
It's not a lot but will it still be ok and is there anyway of fixing this?
Have seen a video on servicing the post.

Re:

By side play do you mean side to side movement or rotational movement?

It's years since I rebuilt a Shokpost but if I remember correctly there are 2 different bushing type bits of plastic for each of the requirements to keep it running tight and smooth. The bush, like in a fork leg, for up and down movement is easily changed if you have a rebuild kit. Keep everything clean and lube with grease, think with the kit I had the grease came in a wee syringe. The bits of plastic, hard nylon I think, that prevent rotational movement can be changed as well. They can be carefully levered out of their slots to be replaced with ones from kit or if my memory is correct the originals can be turned over and be replaced with unworn edges sticking out. Not 100% sure about this, it is a fair while ago. It might be obvious after you "carefully" take them out, but I think I remember doing it.

Don't keep riding it if has a lot of side play as it could allow the shaft and outer tube of shock to come into contact. The aluminium will wear and that's that. I know because I bought an old Shokpost that was stiff in movement, knew I'd have to regrease it at least. What I discovered was hardened dirty grease and a worn bush which had allowed the metal parts to rub against each other and the shaft was a bit scored, bushing effed, the outer tube although slightly worn was OK as normally the worn part wouldn't be in contact with the shaft or bushing.

Not having a rebuild kit, it would have been a waste anyway, I bodged a repair by gently smoothing the shaft and making a bushing out of a piece of plastic. The plastic was from a tube that silicone comes in, a bit harder and not self-lubing like a proper bushing material but that hardly mattered with what I was going to do with it. :mrgreen: The inner surface of tube is very smooth which works OK on shaft. The small difference in thickness of plastic took care of the wear on shaft. When greased and rebuilt it worked fine. I fitted it with soft elastomers/springs as it was for my daughter's bike, her light weight didn't put too much of a strain on my bodge and it was still OK a couple of years later.

Didn't mean to write a novel. :oops:

had same problem on my sx post
think i paid a tenner for rebuild kit
new keys will correct any play,
fitted in 15 minutes

Back