Nipple wrench size - which one to buy?

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hi all,

I want to true the wheels of my bikes but my nipples seem to be too big (couldn't resist to phrase it this way :LOL: ).

I read European bikes have 3.2mm nipples but both my Peugeot and my Marin have 3.5mm nipples. It's not a problem per se, I can just buy a 3.5mm wrench, I'm just curious why this might be?
Are nipple measurements real sizes, or just nominal numbers that do not reflect the actual size (kinda like the gauge?)?

Thanks,

Ugo

Re:

You should be able to buy one that caters for various nipple sizes. I've got one that fits 3 different sizes. They are fairy cheap and easy to get hold of.

Re:

Yes, I saw they sell circular tools with slots radially placed along the edge. I wasn't sure they are actually useful or just a gimmick

Answering my own question...it turns out that the size of those wrenches - at least those sold by Silverline - are indeed nominal.
The 3.5mm one is actually 3.9mm
Bummer.

Ugo51":brh1zmw5 said:
Answering my own question...it turns out that the size of those wrenches - at least those sold by Silverline - are indeed nominal.
The 3.5mm one is actually 3.9mm
Bummer.
I bought a few of the six slot disc things, I thought they would have all the sizes. The first tool didn't have
anything small enough, so if you buy a multisize thing check the sizes before you buy.
The second has two 14swg or 15swg slots, there is something like 3 thou difference between them, those
two slot's are the only two I have used on half a dozen wheels. Yep a few thou to big is to loose and you will round nipples if/when they are tight.

Re:

The rixen 'spokey' style, just get them.
They also do a yellow and black.
It is the distance between the flats of the nipple.

But red (3.25) should be the one you use for anything of quality.
E.g. DT, Sapim, Wheelsmith spokes and nipples.

Get the double metal end 'pro' ones for new nipples and aluminium.
If steel/brass nipples or old knackered nipples then I use the single metal grip ones.
Can get them on eBay quite cheap iirc.
(Madison do the single grip ring version).

Match them with normal style 3 sided nipples if you are building as the four sides are much slower to use at the start.

...Then loose them all and forget where you put them, just as you need them...

Yellow is 3.3 and black 3.4

Best advice, buy a full set, cheaper bikes/wheels vary between the yellow and black spokey sizes.

Other brands 'colours' may vary.

Weird, every bike I've repaired or owned has only ever required my yellow Spokey tool (approaching its fourth decade of use)

Modern ones seem to be sold as 3.4 'Japanese' spokes

35305-83385_1_Supersize.jpg

The multi size keys are usually poorly made from crap metal.

Unfortunately the only answer is to start amassing a collection and once you have about 8 to choose from you’ll still find wheel you don’t have one for.

I recently had to file out a wrench I had 2 of to true an Alfine igh wheel that came on a Genesis Day One I bought. And then I sold the wheel about a fortnight later!

Park ‘pro’ ones are nice as they wrap around the 4th side a little but if you have the correct size then the std 3 sides keys are fine.

Re:

I'm afraid that's exactly what I will end up doing.
For the time being I have an oversized 3.5mm, which actually turns out to be 3.9
The seller is sending a replacement, 3.3mm but...what size it will actually be??:)
Let's wait and see

Back