RockShox Dukes

Bit of an update (for anyone interested!) :)

Couple of pics of the inners of these. Some of the state that things were in when I opened them up, and then what they are like now. (Yellow topped damper is from the right leg - from the rider's point of view - and huge u-turn spring from the left). Everything was very gunked up - the adjustable u-turn spring was absolutely stuck (freed it up now); which also explains why the fork had so little travel originally.

The bigger pain than finding a soft u-turn spring now is that the rebound damper is utterly stuck and a 2.5mm allen key just spins if you put to much force in (i.e any). So far I've soaked it overnight in oil, had it in the freezer (to shrink the plastic) and then had a hair drier on the metal - but so far very little (outside of managing to use a 4mm allen key to get a tiny bit of movement out of the bottom section. Even tried a stud remover coming in from the top, to no avail. Obviously years of bad maintenance has glued everything together.

Looking around, spares are very, very thin on the ground. The Duke seems to share internals with the Psylo - but spares for those are equally a pain. The Judy J2 rebound damper looks similar (and seems to be £12 on amazon - but is about 5cms shorter. I've emailed Sram, to see if they can tell me which other forks shared the same bits (finger's crossed). For now, I'm going to stop trying to force it - a stuck rebound damper will at least damp - a broken one is going to do bugger all.

Outside of that - Sram butter and 5/15wt oils are on the way - fun, fun, fun!

Attachments

• Clean.jpg
    Clean.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Internals.jpg
    Internals.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 268
  • Damper and u-turn.jpg
    Damper and u-turn.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 268
Back