So is it 26 or 27.5"

Re: Re:

M-Power":kub7hp9p said:
brocklanders023":kub7hp9p said:
M-Power":kub7hp9p said:
A 29er wheel has roughly 10% more rolling circumference than an equivalent 26er. Each to their own. Not trying to knock the latest specs, just saying the actual benefits/differences are much much smaller than people realise. Its sometimes easier to justify buying a new whizzo bike than to loose some lbs and get fitter. :D

You are welcome to bring a 26er over to mine and you can test them against my 650b and 29er. Pretty sure I could find a few sections that you would notice the difference ;)

Oh, and what Kaiser said.

OK...its turning into a pi$$ing contest :LOL: I can also take you to very twisty technical trails where your 29er will cause you problems ;) I have little experience on the newer bikes. Im thinking of a new Yo with 3” wide tyres but only because i like the look of it. I note that lots of people with both still prefer to ride the old ones. Some have even sold their moderns and gone back to retro.

The choice is massive. Got nothing against the plethora of different types of bikes. Bitd we only rode the one basic type. Im still in that mode. 29ers have been around since 1889. This is close to being a full sus Victor C model. Guess it never caught on so well ;)

No it’s not and you clearly have not read my previous posts. There isn’t a right answer, there never has and never will be but some sizes make some trails easier to negotiate, as you suggest.

I’m back on the fence after today.

Attachments

• 3D61FF7C-AE8C-493C-9DAD-857A209BF712.jpeg
    3D61FF7C-AE8C-493C-9DAD-857A209BF712.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 517

M-Power":163mht1k said:
So to sum up, according to the anecdotal evidence from a ‘resident expert’, being obese or even grossly obese and buying a 29er will make you climb and ride much faster with no extra effort than on a 26er.

Case closed :facepalm:
Really? Where did anyone say that. Other than you?
Do you have a massive chip on your shoulder about not making the best use of whatever facilities you have at your disposal?

Or is it just grumpy old man?

mattr":2o3jvdrp said:
M-Power":2o3jvdrp said:
So to sum up, according to the anecdotal evidence from a ‘resident expert’, being obese or even grossly obese and buying a 29er will make you climb and ride much faster with no extra effort than on a 26er.

Case closed :facepalm:
Really? Where did anyone say that. Other than you?
Do you have a massive chip on your shoulder about not making the best use of whatever facilities you have at your disposal?

Or is it just grumpy old man?

Dissing aside, in the spirit of bonhomie, we will have to agree to disagree Mattr :) I make use of all and any facilities at my disposal ;) and i could not be much happier in fact :mrgreen: as I just landed the bike of a lifetime and my kid loves her recently built classic FAT Chance...how about you ?

I totally ‘get’ the easier to roll over obstacles on a 29er bit and all the other intermediate variants pros/cons depending on the trail type its on. I will experiment with sticking 2.4 tyres on my classic Yo ( should make the tyre circumference close to a 27in ;) ) and compare it with a mate’s 29er and report back objectively :)

mattr":8fk6zyri said:
Classic Yo might not have clearance for 2.4 between the chainstays..........

They were built for 2.5” clearance way back in 1990. Seriously, I am defo up for the comparison with a 29. Some of the modern 26” tyres have some very thick side walls. It may be a great compromise option for classic bikes with enough clearance, which wont be many i guess. I was inspired by this thread.

http://forums.mtbr.com/27-5/why-go-650b ... 13559.html

Back