So is it 26 or 27.5"

Re: Re:

M-Power":2yy44pja said:
A 29er wheel has roughly 10% more rolling circumference than an equivalent 26er. Each to their own. Not trying to knock the latest specs, just saying the actual benefits/differences are much much smaller than people realise. Its sometimes easier to justify buying a new whizzo bike than to loose some lbs and get fitter. :D

You are welcome to bring a 26er over to mine and you can test them against my 650b and 29er. Pretty sure I could find a few sections that you would notice the difference ;)

Oh, and what Kaiser said.

Re:

Yeah what Kaiser said bottom line I think it’s great to have choices. I currently have 5/6 26ers and a 29er but my next new bike will prob be 27.5.

mattr":3eun0ds5 said:
CX course.
FFS. The one place where the differences trend to zero.
Probably cycling weakly.

But but but....thats where most riding takes place. Not down the black runs of BPW ;)

And the word is anecdotal, not empirical. Il stick to empirical evidence thanks ;)

There has actually been some proper testing done with a power meter and corrections made to ratios, weight and geometry. The difference is small, but not insignificant.

Whats signifcant to you 1.4secs over 2/3mile loop ? Thats not significant to me. You make my point imo. Of course the difference will be much greater on a Red bull Rampage run, comparing a classic rigid with cantis to a bespoke £10k full susser with discs but again, thats not where MOST people do their riding :)

brocklanders023":1lnstb08 said:
M-Power":1lnstb08 said:
A 29er wheel has roughly 10% more rolling circumference than an equivalent 26er. Each to their own. Not trying to knock the latest specs, just saying the actual benefits/differences are much much smaller than people realise. Its sometimes easier to justify buying a new whizzo bike than to loose some lbs and get fitter. :D

You are welcome to bring a 26er over to mine and you can test them against my 650b and 29er. Pretty sure I could find a few sections that you would notice the difference ;)

Oh, and what Kaiser said.

OK...its turning into a pi$$ing contest :LOL: I can also take you to very twisty technical trails where your 29er will cause you problems ;) I have little experience on the newer bikes. Im thinking of a new Yo with 3” wide tyres but only because i like the look of it. I note that lots of people with both still prefer to ride the old ones. Some have even sold their moderns and gone back to retro.

The choice is massive. Got nothing against the plethora of different types of bikes. Bitd we only rode the one basic type. Im still in that mode. 29ers have been around since 1889. This is close to being a full sus Victor C model. Guess it never caught on so well ;)

Attachments

• 08CCDED1-9187-4BC5-8017-BBF109C43D38.jpeg
    08CCDED1-9187-4BC5-8017-BBF109C43D38.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 464
Re:

Here's a radical idea , have a go on all the different sizes and buy the one you enjoyed riding the most , simple and satisfying .

Re:

For what it's worth, which is probably nowt much, my thoughts are:

26" is good for some purposes: tight, twisty, quick acceleration and quick slowing down. 29" is a worthwhile alternative for some purposes: roughly the opposite of what the 26" is good for. Fat bikes, plus bikes, etc. have their niches.

It's the 650b, the new 'standard' that's puzzling: it adds very little to the 26 but it erodes some of the difference between the 'standard' and the 29". So, yes, there's a choice between the 650b and the 29er but it's a less significant choice than between the 26er and the 29er. In other words, it seems to me that it's the least worthwhile development, the 650b mtb, that's the new 'standard'. I suppose similar thoughts have led many others to the feeling that the bike industry promoted the 650b more for its own sake than for riders.

CassidyAce":3bgq54r9 said:
For what it's worth, which is probably nowt much, my thoughts are:

26" is good for some purposes: tight, twisty, quick acceleration and quick slowing down. 29" is a worthwhile alternative for some purposes: roughly the opposite of what the 26" is good for. Fat bikes, plus bikes, etc. have their niches.

It's the 650b, the new 'standard' that's puzzling: it adds very little to the 26 but it erodes some of the difference between the 'standard' and the 29". So, yes, there's a choice between the 650b and the 29er but it's a less significant choice than between the 26er and the 29er. In other words, it seems to me that it's the least worthwhile development, the 650b mtb, that's the new 'standard'. I suppose similar thoughts have led many others to the feeling that the bike industry promoted the 650b more for its own sake than for riders.

Well said :mrgreen:

So to sum up, according to the anecdotal evidence from a ‘resident expert’, being obese or even grossly obese and buying a 29er will make you climb and ride much faster with no extra effort than on a 26er.

Case closed :facepalm:

This week I've ridden a technical, undulating section on both new (Boardman FS Pro, 650b) and old (Whyte JW4, 26"). I cleared it both ways on the Boardman but failed both ways on the Whyte. The Whyte seems to jar on the rough bits where the Boardman skips over. It's down to the individual trail section, though, because I know other places where the opposite is true. I certainly know circuits where my money would be on the Whyte to get round quickest. 7 years ago, when I gave up on my first JW4, I found it's replacement, a Voodoo Canzo 26er, was around 15 seconds slower on a 10 minute red trial which forms a circuit.
It's horses for courses but slightly worrying that 15 years hasn't produced a bike which is faster in all situations. And don't get me onto pedal strikes with modern trail bikes. :evil: The BBs are just too low and shortening the cranks robs you of torque when you need it. :cry: Better post this before my blood starts to boil!

Matthews":35qwh88t said:
Here's a radical idea , have a go on all the different sizes and buy the one you enjoyed riding the most , simple and satisfying .

Bugger off, this isn't goriding.com, and anyway you should do it lady style, pick the one that looks nice. Then go and try on all the shoes.

Back