So is it 26 or 27.5"

Re: Re:

M-Power":p0p556rg said:
Loosing weight and getting properly fit generates a much greater potential gain than increasing wheel radius.

but what if you do both? what if you're as fit as you can reasonably be while having a full time job/family/life?

tintin40":15bf6kzh said:
M-Power":15bf6kzh said:
Always find these threads fascinating considerng the power source, us, only generates around 1/4hp. Loosing weight and getting properly fit generates a much greater potential gain than increasing wheel radius.
Couldn't agree more. The rider is more important than the bike. Hence i'm keeping my 26er.
Which is something of an arse about face way of looking at it. If you've got such a small amount of power available, you need to take every advantage you can to make best use of it.

mattr":jxrqys7t said:
tintin40":jxrqys7t said:
M-Power":jxrqys7t said:
Always find these threads fascinating considerng the power source, us, only generates around 1/4hp. Loosing weight and getting properly fit generates a much greater potential gain than increasing wheel radius.
Couldn't agree more. The rider is more important than the bike. Hence i'm keeping my 26er.
Which is something of an arse about face way of looking at it. If you've got such a small amount of power available, you need to take every advantage you can to make best use of it.

You remind me of one of my best customers bitd, a 26st London chef who spent every spare penny buying the lightest special order bling. A total weight weenie with a Filofax and calculator, who knew every part to 10 decimal places. He was convinced hed climb so much better with a Ti Flite saddle, alloy bolt kit yada yada. :roll:

Only because M-Power couldn't afford the lightest special order bling. ;)

But at any point did i suggest spending a fortune on special order lightweight bling?
No.

I just said that 29er can be an advantage in many places.
How he got to bling, i have no idea.

mattr":1fs4yfp2 said:
Only because M-Power couldn't afford the lightest special order bling. ;) :LOL: :LOL:

But at any point did i suggest spending a fortune on special order lightweight bling?
No.

I just said that 29er can be an advantage in many places.
How he got to bling, i have no idea.

You are a marketing mans wet dream Mattr ;) The bike trade is some of the most over hyped in the world. They keep reinventing a ‘better’ wheel... In comparative tests the difference between HT, ST & FS bikes on a 2/3mile cx course ( all other things being as equal as possible) is ~ 1.4secs or less per lap. Important if you are a serious racer. Its your money Mattr. For most people they would be better off loosing a few lbs and working on their cardio and riding skills. Fact !

Re:

The argument for bigger and bigger wheels falls due to the trails available and the disadvantages going bigger brings in to play.

From my experience of trails ridden on 26/650b/29 there's plenty that will cause a biffer like me to stall on the climbs when on 26" where as there's very little that causes a problem on 29" Not much point going bigger if you already clear what's out there and as much as geometry evolves bigger wheels always lead to a bike that is not as quick witted as a smaller wheel bike.

As much as it's agreed that 26" is more flickable and lively there's no call to go smaller to increase this advantage, just as I believe there's no need to go bigger than 29". 650b was unnecessary although it works for a taller lad like myself.

M-Power":2d6073b6 said:
.You are a marketing mans wet dream Mattr
hardly. 3 new bikes in 17 years. 2 of them in last years colours, bought on clearance.

in comparative tests the difference between HT, ST & FS bikes on a 2/3mile cx course ( all other things being as equal as possible) is ~ 1.4secs or less per lap.
tests? Or you riding round a field with a watch? ;)

mattr":346llaum said:
M-Power":346llaum said:
.You are a marketing mans wet dream Mattr
hardly. 3 new bikes in 17 years. 2 of them in last years colours, bought on clearance.

in comparative tests the difference between HT, ST & FS bikes on a 2/3mile cx course ( all other things being as equal as possible) is ~ 1.4secs or less per lap.
tests? Or you riding round a field with a watch? ;)

Expected a bit more appreciation of empirical evidence from a Mech Eng... ;)

Timoth27":3iusx4qm said:
But regardless of his size & ability in basic terms was he wrong???

You must be a fan of David Brailsford and his ‘marginal gains’ theory. ;)

Back