RockShox Dukes

petitpal

Retrobike Rider
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I'm mid getting some bits together for my daughter's first 26" wheeler (which she wants to help build :) ), and bought her a set of RockShox Duke forks for £50 - which I don't think was too bad.

So, few questions (sorry!)

1) I've downloaded the service manual from the SRAM site, but has anyone else serviced these before and anything to watch out for? (They seem to scrape a bit when I compress them)

2) She's only 13, so I'm going to swap in a soft spring while I've got them apart - any recommendations for where to look (seen some stuff that looks plausible on amazon - just want to know if anyone knows a good place) - and anyone know if any other models of rockshox use the same springs (not much around for Dukes)

3) How the heck do you tune them in? I'm used to retro 'turn one dial on a fork leg and bugger all happens' type forks. :)

Thanks in advance (and sorry for so many questions!)

madjh":mngkjjek said:
2) Spring? Dukes spring is air, so no metal springs needed.

According to the service manual there's a u-turn spring? (Not taken them apart yet though so not seen for myself!)

Re:

The U-turn spring in the air forks is the air. The U-turn us a dial that extends/reduces the available travel of the fork.

Tuning will be mostly air pressure, and adjusting the compression and rebound adjusters (if you have both).

Re:

Hmmm that's worrying. I'm planning on doing a full strip down and rebuild but any idea what the recall was for?

Re: Re:

ishaw":2ijmg5xd said:
The U-turn spring in the air forks is the air. The U-turn us a dial that extends/reduces the available travel of the fork.

Tuning will be mostly air pressure, and adjusting the compression and rebound adjusters (if you have both).

Cheers :) I suspect I shall find out a lot more as I take them apart!

Re:

Phew! Had been frantically googling and couldn't find anything :D Thanks anyway though, better safe than sorry :)

Re:

Finally took them apart today, very glaf I did - haven't been serviced for years and the old lube had turned to sand; I'll put some pics up later if I get chance.

So the right leg seems to have an air damper and the left leg a ruddy big spring. According to the manual on the SRAM site you can get various springs, and think I'll need a soft/yellow. Seem to be a bugger to find though! :)

Back