Rock shox CSU compatibility

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, I'm looking to make a set of 27.5 forks with a straight steerer for a project.

My initial plan was to swap some 27.5 Reba solo air lowers on to some 26 inch forks, reducing the travel from 120 to 100, which is fine.

I then got to thinking, I have a new world cup carbon CSU, and whether I could use this with the solo air lower legs? I'll use the dual air internals in the CSU, and I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't just work.

Anyone able to sanity check this before I do it?

Re:

Anyone know if I'm barking up the wrong tree? A bit more detail if this helps.

My original plan was to simply transplant a set of 27.5 lower legs on to a set of 26 forks. These are 120mm solo air rlt and I bought them new and they have done less than 100 miles.

My now preferred plan if it's possible, is to use a new sid carbon CSU (which has 80 and 100mm markings only), with new dual air internals, with the 27.5mm lower legs.

My thoughts/doubts are:

The carbon CSU is 100mm travel. The 27.5 lower legs are going to be longer than the 26 versions obviously, but are the bushings in the same place inside?

Are the 120mm CSU stantions longer? I only intend to run 100mm on the build, so if the bushings in the legs are in the same place, this should be fine, right?

I don't know much about offset, do I need to worry? No idea what the legs have in any case, how can I tell?

Any other issues I should consider?

Iain, this seems a bit too technical for me, but one thing I did learn when buying a RS csu for a set of revelations, is that on the 26 inch model the 80-130mm and 100-140mm air fork have the same length inner leg, so only the internals are different. Sadly what I didn't realise was that the air and coil internals attach differently and so the inner leg is not the same, so i now have a brand new csu and lower leg to bring an old fork back to life but I can't use the csu :-(

Make sure you know before buying/starting anything you can't go back on

Re:

Cheers for that. I'm fairly confident that a 29er CSU has the same length stanchions as a 26er so the bushings must be in the same location in the lowers. I was asking as I'd seen some that specify they are for 120mm chassis use only so want to make sure it's all compatible and safe once done.

Back