** Single-speed Rigid 29er - Yes or No **

Agreed, the first 6 weeks I rode on mine were not great fun, but I emerged fitter and tougher out of it. One of the big differences (as Gil points out) is that you have to work to maintain speed - but as a result you will hang on in corners rather than do 'comfort braking' and will get out of the saddle to kick it over small rises. At the end of a couple of months then you will be much quicker (on any bike) than you ever were.

I understand that some folk don't get it. Maybe you are one of them, but I think you owe yourself a bit more of an effort to find out! You should put in at least as much effort into gelling with singlespeed as you put cash into building your singlespeed bike! :shock:
tbf though, most of us start with cheap ones first! :LOL:

Just for some perspective here is a wee pic for you.

41668899931_2ab1f8aeba_b.jpg

You know all three of us in the pic so you can judge our fitness levels for yourself. That there is in the Cairngorms (Glen Einich) which you probably know as well, and we all had a blast.

It does take some effort to make singlespeeding feel natural after a lifetime of riding gears, but it is worth it IMHO. Keep at it. ;)

Re:

Cheers for the support lads, I know inwardly I'm disappointed in my fitness, not the capabilities of the bike.

It was never going to be an easy ride for a first, but I struggled much more than I thought I would.

It is however my only bike now, so I need to maybe give myself a wee helping hand as well as persevering, so rather than buy a mech, cassette and shifter, I've ordered a 30 tooth chainring instead of the 32 which will help me get things rolling easier... I can always switch back to the 32 once my fitness improves.

I'll stick at it. :cool:

I think that's a sensible approach.
Long moderate hills are the worst, I don't know what you are running, but something like 32-18 would seem sense.

Good call for sticking at it! Actually, don't - and I'll have the Black Sheep off you... ;)

I hated my first ride singlespeed. Two years later and it's my main bike. :LOL: 34/18 on a 26er in Surrey btw.

Me too. I too like the same formula of '1/2 the front plus a tooth' and run 36/19. Larger chainrings means less chain tension and IME less wear.

However further north with bigger hills, I'd probably go lower-geared.

Re:

Regarding gearing, I have a thing for the wonky Absolute Black rings, been using them for a long time now running 1x11, so it seemed a no-brainer for singlespeed.

Only potential future issue is diameter.

Their rings are: 30T: 134mm ; 32T: 143mm ; 34T: 151mm at widest point from tooth tip to tip

I've a 32 on just now and it only just clears the chain stay, a 34 would hit....

What are the diameters of 'normal' 34/36 tooth round rings by comparison?

Latest posts

Back