Tech help reqd RC200F8 build; bottom-bracket axle length

TheBear1978

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Afternnon folks,

Haivng recently acquired a BN 2002 RC200F8 frame, I am currently collecting parts to build it up, however I have been out of the game for good long while so forgive me as have not kept up to speed with how things have moved on. I have a few as follows so if anyone can help me out with regards to these that would be awesome :)

1: I am planning on running Pace RC39 forks and Hope Mini disc brakes; I believe the maximum for these forks is 165mm in terms of rotor-size but I am not up to speed with the different model numbers I would require to use or with the diffferent variations in mounting (have never had disc brakes believe it or not), although I know there is IS, post- and flat-mount. I'm not even sure what type of mounting points are on the frame.

2: Planning on using Middleburn RS7 cranks with a 4-arm RS7 square-taper triple-spider so I can run three rings (9-spd planned); I notice Middleburn have several different options regarding rings, am I better to go for the slickshift versions or Middleburn XTR 960 or 970 ? Or would I be better just sticking with good old Shimano XTR chainrings ? Am guessing I need 64/104 versions ?

Much appreciated thanks :)

Re: Technical help required RC200F8 build

Also looking for confirmation that I can use RC39 forks on the build, based on headtube and what period-correct gripshift-style shifters I can use for running 9-spd XTR rear-mech, can anyone help ??

Edit: Now confirmed it's Sram Attack 9-speed I need and RC39 will fit and be fine on the build

Re:

Info on hope rotor sizes can be found on hope's website I think. I have it downloaded somewhere if I find it ill pm it over to you.

If it's 165 you can always add a +20 or +40mm adapter to bump up to larger rotor, especially around the front. Clearance is tighter at the rear so might not work.

Re:

Don't see why the forks won't work, so long as the steerer is right (1+1/8th straight for the frame, forks will almost certainly match that) but easy to check.

Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil":v310ai48 said:
Don't see why the forks won't work, so long as the steerer is right (1+1/8th straight for the frame, forks will almost certainly match that) but easy to check.
RickTheUncivil":v310ai48 said:
Info on hope rotor sizes can be found on hope's website I think. I have it downloaded somewhere if I find it ill pm it over to you.

If it's 165 you can always add a +20 or +40mm adapter to bump up to larger rotor, especially around the front. Clearance is tighter at the rear so might not work.

Thanks it was more relating to the recommended fork travel, I have seen folk saying that the RC39 is 80mm travel although others say 100mm which is apparently too much and puts strain on the headtube. That said I have trawled through all the RC200 build threads and a few folk have run RC39 forks without issue ?

Re:

I found this on the pace website

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzmF6A ... R2VmM/view

It states 165 as max rotor size but 185 is compatible.

As for hope brakes it depends on how period you want to go?

Look here to see the diffent brakes

http://www.hopetech.com/product-documents/brakes/

2002 mini is a split caliper and IS (international standards) fitment so no 5 will give you 165f/145r or a no 3 will give you 185f/165r. These rotors (solid) are still available as special order from a hope dealer if you want new.

2004 mono mini is a 1 piece caliper and IS fitment so no 3 will give you 180f/160r or a no 5 will give you 160f/140r. These sizes are still used today so are readily available in solid or floating rotors. Hope started to introduce the post mount (9.74) so if you are lucky you might find a set with post mount.

2007 mono mini is the same caliper as the 04 but a different lever and a different colour. Now only available in post mount so you will need a front and rear mount.
Mount F is 180f/160r or mount A is 160f/140r. There are also carbon levers available for these if you are that way inclined. All this info is off the hope website so have a poke around.

I personally think the 2007’s will look really good with the frame.

Looks like both frame and fork are IS disc mount.

Hope that helps.

Im selling the Pace Rc39 forks and Hope Mono Minis
If its of interest I also have a hope hub on mavic xc717 rim for sale. Its true with smoothe bearings.
Wheel includes avid 160mm rotor and maxxis tyreand shimano qr skewer

Nomad14":10fjqxk8 said:
Im selling the Pace Rc39 forks and Hope Mono Minis
If its of interest I also have a hope hub on mavic xc717 rim for sale. Its true with smoothe bearings.
Wheel includes avid 160mm rotor and maxxis tyreand shimano qr skewer

PM sent regarding brakes cheers :D

Folks I am unsure of the length of BB axle I need to use (will be running Middleburn RS7 cranks). I have an RC200F6 PDF manual but it only lists Middleburn RS2/RS3 cranks as requiring 122.5 and 107mm diameter respectively but nothing for RS7's.

Just wondered if you have any thoughts on what I should go with lengthwise and what length axle you are using ? 115mm has also been suggested but read of one guy having to go to 127mm ??

Cheers

Back