Today I met the future.

I actually fancy a Brompton electric. They're about £2700 :? I'm not saving currently, but it's got to happen for me no mistake(non driver)

Ticks the boxes for hills, which have always killed me, more so now, but because it folds small i can bus or train down to wherever, and scoot about sightseeing or so.

The bikes featured in this thread are ore its to get you up a hill a few times, and far as im aware there its not an up and down all day long. Certainly thats how their adverts spell out. On the flat you'd get a longer charge but these arent about the flat, as it likely weighs 60lb+ you could pay less and get lighter if thats the planned deal for getting it.

Battery life s all down to how you ride, and how much assist you want / need. Battery ratings are given for Mr fat-arse chainsmoker riding with "normal" assist level on permanently.

My boss, who's a spandex clad road rider, bought a pair of electric - not exactly MTBs - for him and his wife, on the grounds that they can now go riding together. Works well enough, but he's started to take the 40km / charge rating as a challenge when he's riding alone. Apparently on Sunday he did 4 class 1 Cols and 250km on one charge...

Bought my wife a cube hardtail last year. It's a bit small for me, but I managed to get 70km out of it with no effort whatsoever, that was purely offroad and very much "up and down all the way". Downhill and on the flat, no assist, uphill, low or medium assist. I rode it to work and back (30km round trip, 1km climb) in "normal" mode (i.e. normal assist mode permanently on) without even arriving sweaty.

Re:

I keep considering one for my wife so she can come out with me and keep up. She’s not a fan as she says she won’t get enough use to justify cost.

Back