Orange Strange Technology

shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Got a Sub 3 with the Strange sticker on the seat tube just above the BB shell.

I read somewhere that these were experimental, test or pre production frames but can't seem to find the article anywhere.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or give me some more info please?

Re:

From memory the Strange name has been used a few times over the years. These days it designates prototypes and the name replaces the normal Orange and model branding. Saying that, there’s some pre production bikes on the Orange site that are not marked as Strange so maybe they’ve dropped it?

Anyway, they also used it to designate their own technology etc years back and plenty of standard frames had a Strange sticker so I would imagine yours is one of them.

Got Strange decals on my 2000 & 2007 P7's

The 2007 one is on seat tube above BB

Attachments

• IMG_3207.jpg
    IMG_3207.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 674
  • p7_006.jpg
    p7_006.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 674
Re:

The bottom picture and it's location are exactly the same as on mine.

I'm not shure if it's relevant but the S.No on the BB is 02 82 05 and on the swing arm 2 177 05 which supports the sellers claim that it is an 06 year bike.

Any way I'm loving the ride and wondering if I should carry on looking for a 5.

Re:

5's are ace so highly recommended. I've had a 2006 and 2009 before moving to a 2014 5 29 and now a 2017 Segment. The biggest advance is usually in the shock so it would depend what year you got as to how different it would feel to your 3.

Re:

Thanks for the info, I believe you have given me some good advice on these in the past.
Up until recently my favourite bikes for riding here (think the lakes without the lakes) :roll: have been long forked hardtails but the 3 has made me think again.
I have a 29er hardtail that would make a good doner, most parts will fit if I choose the "new" frames year correctly. To keep the costs down it would need to accept tapered fit forks, 12 X 140 and 15 mm X 100 axles.
Any more advice would be welcome.
Thanks

I had a sub 5. The pivot point was OK in middle and big ring but in the small ring it was too high It jacked up in the air then dropped, absorbing most of your pedalling energy. It would have made an excellent 1X!
It was an aggressive ride and I blame it for the breaking of 7 bones in the year or so I had it.

Re: Re:

shedobits":29j6qxcd said:
Thanks for the info, I believe you have given me some good advice on these in the past.
Up until recently my favourite bikes for riding here (think the lakes without the lakes) :roll: have been long forked hardtails but the 3 has made me think again.
I have a 29er hardtail that would make a good doner, most parts will fit if I choose the "new" frames year correctly. To keep the costs down it would need to accept tapered fit forks, 12 X 140 and 15 mm X 100 axles.
Any more advice would be welcome.
Thanks

And a 29er? If so the rear axel would limit you to the Gyro I think as by the time the 5 29 came out they had moved to 12x142 rear. If you want a 26” then any 5 between 2011 and 13 would be ok. As for 650b I imagine they were 12x142 at launch.

Back