Integral headset angles

coreygun

Retro Guru
It seems my second hand 2010 Commencal Absolut SX frame requires a 42/52mm headset (tapered), which is all normal, but it also specifies a 36°/45° angle contact. I know this is an old size now as all new ones use 45°/45°, but through my research, it seems the 36° angle is the one that sits against the crown race, and the 45° is the one that sits against the frame.

So surely this means that any bearing with a 45° outer chamfer will fit the frame, regardless of whether the internal chamfer is 36° or 45°, as the headsets come with their own crown race that will match the 36° or 45° chamfer?

fsa.jpg

mechanicalvandal":m0j4jgu6 said:
I think the diameter is different between 45/45 and 45/36 headsets.
Theres a whole range, so I am specifically talking about a 52mm diameter bearing, and then the two options of 36° and 45°.

I missed that you were talking about tapered, which means I'm a bit out of my depth.

But, crc seems to sell headsets with 52mm od lower bearings with both 36deg and 39.8deg (nominally 40deg) inner, crown race angles so yeah I think you're right.

Also, this https://problemsolversbike.com/files/tech/s.h.i.s.pdf table doesn't specify an angle for the inner/crown race angle of an IS52 lower bearing so it presumably could be any diameter.

What are you trying to do? Use a headset you already have? I've noticed the 45/36 headset on CRC is almost £70 whereas the 45/39.8 one is much cheaper (albeit out of stock).

I need to buy one, so I wanted to expand my options, rather then being limited to that one FSA 36°/45° headset for £65

hamster":zoroerjq said:
This for £8...?
Exactly what you have already and no faffing. Always go to a bearing supplier not a bike shop! :facepalm: £65 is taking the mick.
https://www.hendersonbearings.co.uk/bic ... egree.html?
These are the guys on my local trading estate incidentally, good stuff.

This still requires a 36° crown race, and that would have to match precisely. I found a bunch of bearings on ebay, but there were 3 different options of inner dimensions for the 52mm OD bearing. I have now found what I believe is that £65 FSA one, but for £25, from Ireland, so don't have to wait a month to get it from Taiwan.

Once it arrives, I'll measure the ID and buy spare bearings from that link you provided. Thanks

Back