SRAM X-0 SRD rear mech?

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
So, bought an SRAM x-0 rear mech recently for pillaging bits from to make another good. However, pleasantly surprised on its arrival as it was in pretty decent shape.

Curiously instead of the normal SRAM lettering etched into the mech body, it had SRD and SRAM Racing Development instead. Also, the cable guide had the same carbon effect as the front pivot, and all other x-0 mechs I've had were plain black.

What is this mech? I've not come across this before? Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2018-02-21 22.57.13.jpg
    2018-02-21 22.57.13.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 796
  • 2018-02-21 22.57.42.jpg
    2018-02-21 22.57.42.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 796
Re:

I bought one of these new in 2003 to complete the build of my 2003 Kona Kula Primo frame.

It came in a silver round metal tin (like a biscuit tin), which I still have :oops: .

I used it in conjunction with the 9-Speed SRAM shifters available at the time - the SRAM X Generation X.9 (with gear indicator in bar clamp). This was around the time of the court case with Shimano for infringement of Copyright over the Rapid Fire shifters.

Please excuse the poor quality pictures taken at the time:

Jan15^34 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Edit 23/02/18: Correct picture now inserted :facepalm: .

Jan15^33 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip

Would this.also have been around the time SRAM the was pushing up market?
The SRD branding would have differentiated the top kit from the more run of the mill stuff...a little like TRP for Tektro.

All the best,

Re:

Yeah I think that was their intention.

However, as I was collecting the components for the build, I can remember that the matching Front Mech was yet to be released. Waiting for it to become available was rather frustrating. As far as I recall, the SRD X.0 Front Mech never did materialise, and the Kula Primo ended up with the somewhat robust looking SRAM X – Gen.

Jan15^36 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Edit: Picture below highlights chunky construction of Front Mech taken a few years later after a make-over:
Kona Makeover 07 by Philip Mock, on Flickr

Pip.

Re:

Just a quick addition to this thread to say that I have done an edit to my first post - to change the 2nd picture for the correct one :facepalm: .

Anyway a bit more info on it: I bought mine new in 2003 from Stows in Windsor - which on Google Maps now appears to be a Costa Coffee!

According to my records at the time, the R.R.P. was £149.99 and it weighed in at it at 212 grams.

The parallelogram on mine has a shot-peen finish - yours looks smoother than that Ian.

I've got it archived away now, but I can dig it out to take some better pictures if that helps?

Pip.

Re:

Thanks. I was just keen to know a bit more about it really, and whether it was just the x0 of its time or something different.

Latest posts

Back