** Single-speed Rigid 29er - Yes or No **

I built a singlespeed a decade ago as an experiment - thought I'd ride it for a few weeks, then move on.
Ten years later it's still my ride of choice!

As a time-poor middle-aged guy I have to work harder when riding it, so stay fitter. What was surprising was that I also improved my handling and cornering as speed once lost is harder to regain.

Re:

I guess a lot depends on where you live, and/or where you ride. A single speed might be fine in nice flat Holland or Norfolk, but not so good in the Lake District, Switzerland, or other lumpy parts of the world.

I get the simplicity and durability arguments, but I've never really struggled that much to maintain the multiple speed bikes, ranging from 1 x 7 to 3 x 9, that I've had. Any multiple speed bike can be converted to "get you home" single speed, if you carry a chain breaker, but I've yet to need to do this.

Re:

I wouldn't, but then I shouldn't as my knees are shot and need lower gears to get going without harming what very little cartilage I have left.

No. Plenty of reliable gearness is preferable. My four 29ers have a total of 117.

Singlespeed it is. Riding singlespeed since, well forever. You do need to choose a good ratio for you - start not to high, something like 2:1 or 2.5:1 should be good pending where do you live. Have fun :)

Re:

You no doubt know that a number of us in MacRetro land regularly ride singlespeed of some sort , and usually rigid too.
I'm using a singlespeed rigid 29er On One Inbred at the moment, with 32:21 gearing for off-road riding.
I had one just over a year ago and sold it. So I guess I must have liked the single speed life as I bought another the same late last year :LOL:
For me, I like just getting the bike out and riding, just me the bike, and the trail. Its my "go to" mtb for local riding.
You soon get used to having one gear. I doubt you'll set any Strava segment KOM's on a single speed, but it's sometimes surprising how swift they can be.
I often go weeks without cleaning the bike, somehow the chain doesn't get as filthy, and with disc brakes and no suspension there's really nothing to regularly maintain.

Re: Re:

ishaw":hwowznyk said:
I wouldn't, but then I shouldn't as my knees are shot and need lower gears to get going without harming what very little cartilage I have left.

I get knee trouble. What seems different is that I run with a lowish gear (36/19) and I simply don't get the opportunity to sit and mash a big gear. Most climbing is out of the saddle which works for my knees: the pressure is on a straight knee not a bent one.

Singlespeed loses out most on the flat or gradual descents where a big ring can be engaged or in thick mud. The rest of the time I'm fine compared to my regular ride partners.

Re:

Thanks for all the advice lads, I’ve gone and bought one now anyway so I guess I’ll be finding out soon enough!

Chainring is an Absolute Black 32 tooth oval, so think I’m going to start with a 20 tooth cog as I’m far from fit right now, if it eventually get too spinny then I can always come down a tooth or two!

Back