More Money = More Speed? | Cheap VS Expensive

Interesting test, and perhaps a bit more honest and transparent than some of GMBN's videos. The more expensive bike works out to roughly 10% faster for one rider, and just a few per cent for the other rider.

What often bugs me about these videos (and some magazines) is they pretend to help the consumer, but consistently fail them by acting more as a marketing tool for the bike industry, somehow always concluding that the most expensive bike is the best!

ultrazenith":3chgrvq8 said:
Interesting test, and perhaps a bit more honest and transparent than some of GMBN's videos. The more expensive bike works out to roughly 10% faster for one rider, and just a few per cent for the other rider.

What often bugs me about these videos (and some magazines) is they pretend to help the consumer, but consistently fail them by acting more as a marketing tool for the bike industry, somehow always concluding that the most expensive bike is the best!

Agree. I've only ever read one bad review in any magazine. They do like to sit on the fence. Ad money is so strong.

Re:

I doubt there is much money talking about low end products that people can easily afford and suits their purposes. The money is in sponsorship by rich companies selling premium products. It is nice to hear about such products though and what is happening at the top end of pricing but I wouldn't pay ridiculous money for a bike and strongly believe in diminishing returns where paying over a certain amount brings minimal benefits. There is a sweet spot to value.

Saw a very old cyclist today, looked approaching 90 years of age which is no exaggeration but whether he was was is another matter. He had what looked like a bike from the eighties or nineties. A bit tarnished and worn but he got on it and rode off and I noticed how smoothly and silently he rode off. It was obviously maintained very well. Made me think about how little modern bicycle innovations mattered. His likely 3 speed SA hub was fit for purpose and fully enclosed chain was protected from the rain. A heavy bike I'm sure but in many ways a better design than many modern bikes that need constant chain lube because the chain is exposed to the elements.

Back