Genesis Fortitude Adventure

Twister

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
A colleague just bought one of these and seems very pleased with it.

Anyone here got any experience of it?

Thinking to use as a winter trail bike and commuter/work bike.

Also, I'm 5'11", would that make me a 17.5" medium or a 19" large?

Re:

xxnick1975":3kqtm3ss said:
With a nice 1.10 Xt bomb proof

Nope. The Race had 1x10 XT the Adventure had 1x11 Alfine, I have one of each.

I've used the Adventue for 6000 miles of commuting so far. 25 miles a day, half on bridlepaths and singletrack & half on road in all weathers. Sun, rain, frost and snow.

The rear hub needs regular servicing & oil changes, every 1500 miles. This is the guide that you need to use:

http://www.mbr.co.uk/forums/showthread. ... 9b35be90ce

Size wise, I'm 5ft9 and rode the 17.5" at 5ft11 I'd say that maybe the 19". The handling is brilliant. I could bimble along if I wanted to or add on a fun loop through the woods if I wanted a more exciting ride to/from work. I didn't have any issues with the hub as I chancged the oil regularly though I've heard of people having problems when the hub's neglected. Most of the time I ran Schwalbe Marathons with the occasional swap for knobblies. I fitted mudguards guards and a pannier rack and it rode well with two loaded panniers, loads of braze ons for racks and the like makes for a versalitle ride. The geo is the same as the Race and the Single Speed version, just changes to drop outs, braze ons and cable routing between the three, oh and the frame/fork colour is different because how it looks is the most important thing.

I'd happily buy another if I needed one.

Cheers,

T

Re:

Thanks loads that's really helpful. I like to commute via the woods whenever possible so a go anywhere while loaded with panniers is perfect.

Now to find one.

Re:

My colleague has picked up another Genesis. This time for me!

Apparently, he went to pick up Thorn frame and the seller had a Genesis as well. So he bought it for me on the off chance.

It’s a 20.5 frame, so might be a bit big but it’ll give me a flavour and I can always sell it on if I need to (after finding a 19),

Very excited.

Re:

Got it and been commuting and one (very muddy) Epping ride.

So far, I’m loving it though I had to change the Madison flux saddle for a flite.

Needs a new chain and I’m going to lower the gearing by fitting a Nexus sprocket.

Now for a (possibly/probably) stupid question.

Can I fit 700c tyres to 29er rims? Specifically, the Panaracer Gravel King to the DT Swiss 470 rims on the Fortitude?

Braces himself for ridicule.

700c & 29er rims are the same diameter, so width & pressure* issues aside yes you can.

*700c rims are generally designed for narrow high pressure tyres, 29er rims are generally designed for wider low pressure tyres, so as long as you are not going to the extremes they are pretty much mix & match :)

Back