Rapid rise with thumbshifters

Unlikely I reckon :LOL:

Possible the spring would pull against the friction of the thumbie causing it to slip :?, so maybe only on indexed

Re:

Yup,I know friction wouldnt be an option due to the pull of the mech but Im a fan of rapid rise and heard of guys using Microshift thumbies with them and I`d imagine it could be a pretty solid set up with XT thumbs.

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the rapid rise have the same spring tension as a normal mech. I thought they were essentially the same just working in reverse. If so there's no reason it wouldn't work

Re:

Numbers on the shifter will be in reverse but otherwise it should work fine.

There are springs in both top normal and bottom normal mechs and while there may be slight differences in the power of those springs id doubt it’d be enough to overpower the shifter.

Fwiw though, I’d not touch Microshift thumbies with a barge pole. I had one of their bar end shifters (same thing as a thumbie really) on a bike with an Alfine hub and the indexing on the shifter was miles out.

Re:

I stand to be corrected but I believe that rapid rise only came in 9 speed. In the past I have run a RR rear mech with XT 3 X 9 shifters with no problems (once that I got used the "reverse" shifting).

Re: Re:

shedobits":2h7e7ln7 said:
I stand to be corrected but I believe that rapid rise only came in 9 speed. In the past I have run a RR rear mech with XT 3 X 9 shifters with no problems (once that I got used the "reverse" shifting).
First gen XTR M951 rapid rise was 8 speed.

66 triumph daytona":24i8jrea said:
I have an M951 8 speed rapid rise rear mech and thinking of teaming it with a set of M732 thumbies. Anyone using this set up?
Yep. Works fine, indexed or friction.

I'm also using an M951 mech with Forge/Dura Ace 9-speed thumbies, and that works fine as well.

one-eyed_jim":shfasana said:
66 triumph daytona":shfasana said:
I have an M951 8 speed rapid rise rear mech and thinking of teaming it with a set of M732 thumbies. Anyone using this set up?
Yep. Works fine, indexed or friction.

I'm also using an M951 mech with Forge/Dura Ace 9-speed thumbies, and that works fine as well.
Thats great.Must stick an ad up.

Second that it works fine. It is more logical and I used it with bar-end shifters so that I didn't bash my knees in bottom gear.

Back