Old 5 bolt hubs, new disc sizes - overlap?

petehaddock":2xp1cmvt said:
coreygun":2xp1cmvt said:
mechanicalvandal":2xp1cmvt said:
If you're using post mount brakes or post mount caliper on a post - IS adapter, you can just chuck a couple washers under the caliper

Yeh I know but it’s IS.

Surely if your using new-ish calipers they will be post mount and use a pm-is mounting adaptor? If so just just put your washers between the caliper and the adaptor. You only need 2.5mm of spacers under there.

Re:

OK OK haha :oops: What caliper is it out of interest? I thought pretty much all brake's since the old hope c2's etc were post mount style.

petehaddock":kjhrk4en said:
OK OK haha :oops: What caliper is it out of interest? I thought pretty much all brake's since the old hope c2's etc were post mount style.

Hope C2, O2, Mini, M4's used 165/185+ discs, and came in PM and IS mounts.

Hope Mono Mini, and all other 'mono' calipers used 160/180+ discs and came in both PM and IS mounts for a few years, and then eventually phased out the IS mounts.

As it turns out, I have an old C2 PM and a Mono Mini IS, to confuse you:

IMG_5381.jpg
IMG_5042.jpg

Re:

I’ve got a 165/185 c2 IS
160/180 & 180/200 m4 IS
Post mount m4
140/160 & 160/180 mini IS
Post mount mini

I don’t think it was until the late noughties that hope finally stopped making IS callipers

Corey what’s on o2 Caliper I’ve not herd of that 1

Re: Re:

Timoth27":2rf72mtt said:
Corey what’s on o2 Caliper I’ve not herd of that 1

Well technically I think it was first just called the 'Hope 2pot disc brake' - which was an open system, and then later they introduced the closed 'C2'. So to distinguish the two more easily it was referred to as the 'O2'.

And in case you don't know the difference between closed and open: All modern systems are open, where the reservoir has a diaphragm which lets the fluid expand, but the closed ones, only available in the pre-mini systems, had the thumb adjuster on the reservoir and had to be manually adjusted to account for fluid heat expansion. Closed had the benefit of zero drag, but had to be continually adjusted.

coreygun":35evzfef said:
Any idea when Hope BigUns stopped being made?

Sorry mate I don’t I bought mine in 97 and mines a gen 1, I gather there was a gen 2 that had a diffent qr axle but when that was I don’t know.

Back