Rolf Propel Tubuless Wheel question

Kaqui

Retro Newbie
So, I bought some Rolf Propel Wheels. They should weight 640 and 820gr respectively (or something close to that), however, I'm getting 660 up-front and 1.020 in the rear! How could that be possible? Hubs are Rolf (not Hugi). Is it possible I've got a late and heavier version? Moreover, I was servicing the wheels and got a surprise. Front hub has cartridge bearings, however, rear hub has replaceable ball bearings. Is it possible previous owner changed the axis and the cartridge or do Rolf Propel rear wheels have ball bearings? There is a rubber seal that protects the bearings, but reviews said there should be a cartridge there. Anyone had those wheels and can tell me what's wrong? I bought them to upgrade from Mavic Crossride but so far they're almost the same in weight. Front one would make me save 100gr but then they wouldn't match :(.

IIRC there were two versions - the real deal aftermarket ones and some that were OE on (I think) Treks. It may be that they were different iwth the OE ones cost-reduced. It wouldn't exactly be the first time.

Well this got me thinking as I've just obtained a set of these wheels.

So I weighed them.......

Front: 660
Rear: 920

Not a super accurate set of kitchen scales so weighed with second set of not accurate kitchen scales and got same front weight with rear being 910.

These wheels were off a Trek bike so not aftermarket! Not taken rear apart to see what bearings it has....

Mark

Back